Large Format Travertine Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

i'm about to embark on a project to tile my bathroom. The missus and I chose large format Travertine tiles for walls and floors (600 x 400 wall and 400 x 400 floor). I just wanted to run the specs of the product by you experts as a sanity check... here goes...

Walls:

Substrates - I propose boarding the bathroom with 12.5mm plasterboard - 3 walls brick and other wooden stud partition. So I guess I have a choice to make - strip back plaster to brick and then dot and dab or could i screw directly into the plaster/brick? The shower area would be tanked using BAL or Dunlop kits.

The tiles weigh-in at 26.85Kg/m2 so adding on 4-5kg of adhesive then this weight is very close to the 32kg/m2 limit for plasterboard.

Plasterboard would be primed and then use either BAL Rapidset Flex white or BAL Single Part Flex White? Will the size of trowel etc be included in the adhesive instructions or can you guys advise which to use?

All tiles would be sealed with appropriate system - any suggestions for make/type?

BAL Superflex wide grout (ivory) for walls and floors.

Floor:

Wooden T&G floorboards in decent condition so propose over-boarding with 12.5mm Aquapanel fixed with flexible adhesive and screws at 200mm centres.(http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/tiling/tiling_wooden_floors.htm seems to claim if laid correctly it is as stable as 18mm WBP)

UFH (Devimat) then laid and tiles fixed directly using same BAL Rapidset Flex White adhesive. Grout and sealant as above.

If you've made it this far then I thank you kindly!

Thanks for any responses in advance.

Chris

Sponsored Links
..see post entitled travertine tiles too heavy for these walls!
It pretty much covers it, Myself I wouldn't replace plasterboard with plasterboard especially in a potentially wet / damp / water-sloshing environment, especially bearing in mind the weight of your tiles! ..have recently done the job in our bathroom & glad I used Hardyboard 12mm everywhere. :D
..good selling point when the time comes too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back