Weight Limit on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read many times on here to visit a proper tiling shop and to take their advice but I'm confused because the Bal website offers different advice.

I have a shower area that has two walls of 12.5mm plasterboard fixed to a timber studwork with a new plaster skim over. I was planning on tanking it with Bal, Weber or similar kit.

On asking, the shop states that the tiles that I like (30cmx60cm porcelain) would be just within the maximum weight allowance for this type of wall including adhesive and grout.

Bal state 20Kg/m2 for this type of wall incl. adhesive and grout.

Now I have acquired samples today and have weighed the tiles at 3.8Kg. I work that out to be 21.11Kg/m2 just for the tiles.

So who is right? Would fitting these tiles be a disaster?

Sponsored Links
On asking, the shop states that the tiles that I like (30cmx60cm porcelain) would be just within the maximum weight allowance for this type of wall including adhesive and grout.

They will say that as they want the sale.

Bal state 20Kg/m2 for this type of wall incl. adhesive and grout.

That's about right. http://www.tiles.org.uk/help/answer-weight.shtml

Now I have acquired samples today and have weighed the tiles at 3.8Kg. I work that out to be 21.11Kg/m2 just for the tiles.

So who is right? Would fitting these tiles be a disaster?

You could probably get away with it as the figures given will be overkill,it's you choice as to weather you take the chance.

Thanks.

I've just got back from the shop because we wanted to have a look for another lighter tile. I pointed out to the manager (who hasn't in any way been pushy) that I did want to wait for independent advice on the wieght issue. Whilst there he stopped one of their regular tiler customers to ask them for their opinion.

I described the situation and the tiler did agree that the Bal 20Kg/m2 is correct with the recommended weight but that he had fitted similar tiles on many occasions without problem and that I would get away with it, and that these were guidelines. Interesting.

I suppose there always has to be a maximum recommended limit but has anyone else 'gotten away with it'?

I did bring home a thinner tile that is slightly smaller but it turns out to be denser and so pretty much the same weight, in fact slightly heavier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back