Confused - So many BAL products

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading many of the comments on this site and understand that BAL is King but also that I should take advice from a proper tiling shop.

Anyway, I've just had all the bathroom plastered and foresee the shower area being the main area to get right. One wall is plastered brick the other two walls are plastered (normal 12.5mm) plasterboard.

I know that some people have recommended tanking the shower area and yet the tiling shop stated that it didn't need this. I'd rather be on the safe side no matter the cost, but would like to do the work myself.

:rolleyes: I'm very confused by the quantity of BAL products. The tiles that I'm looking at are porcelain (I need to check on the weight of these) so I know I need one of the Porcelbond adhesives.

1. Would the BAL Microflex Wide Joint adhesive be suitable for a domestic shower, or any other recommendations?

2. Do the walls need tanking, if so WP1 kit or just the WP1 coating system?

3. I like the idea of one of the Microban grouts, but which one?

4. Should I use the BAL protective sealer prior to grouting?

Many questions but I hope somebody would be kind enough to answer them.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
1. Would the BAL Microflex Wide Joint adhesive be suitable for a domestic shower, or any other recommendations?

Do you mean grout or adhesive?

Wide joint grout will depend on gap size.

Most powdered adhesive will be ok (except unibond),I normally use granfix or benfer.

2. Do the walls need tanking, if so WP1 kit or just the WP1 coating system?
I normally use the coating and have rolls of tape for it,the kit contains all you need including matting if needed.
3. I like the idea of one of the Microban grouts, but which one?
Dont use it to be honest.

4. Should I use the BAL protective sealer prior to grouting?
If your tiles are porcelain they wont need sealing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back