quick question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a tiler in this week to finish off my en-suite shower.

I tanked the whole cubicle with BAL WP1 tanking kit, but didn't realise the walls were not parallel. I had to skim some of the cubicle wall to 'build it up' to square.

This has left me with a cubicle which is 60% WP1 and 40% plaster.

I have bought BAL Green Star and some BAL microflex grout.

Will the adhesive work equally well on both surface types?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What's are the walls of the cubicle made of (stud/block/plaster/render)? What did you plaster it with? How thick is the plaster?

Additionally, WP1 should be directly below the tiles or it won't work effectively.

Sounds like a job for Suuuuper kerdi!

As I understand it, you've plastered over the WP1?

This installation sounds far from ideal, the plaster needs tanking, i'd be a little worried if I had WP1 then plaster then more WP1 on top.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a job for Suuuuper kerdi!

As I understand it, you've plastered over the WP1?

This installation sounds far from ideal, the plaster needs tanking, i'd be a little worried if I had WP1 then plaster then more WP1 on top.

i would have to agree with Bathstyle here,i would be very worried as well

I tanked over plasterboard.
The plaster is very thin in most places.

I understand that in the areas that are plastered, there is a danger of that plaster becoming damaged by water in the same way it would if no tanking was used but i'm not really worried about that. Worst case scenario, one day i'll have to take the shower back to the tanking and re-do it. This is not as bad as the mess i've just had to clear up where water had got into the plasterboard/studs/floor.

My main concern was just whether the adhesive I bought would adhere to both tanking and plaster.

Considering a lot of people (including the builders who instlale dmy shower originally) don't use any kind of water proofing in showers, I feel what i've done is a pretty good step in the right direction, and should give me a couple of years at least of trouble free showering.

thanks for the replys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back