Sealing porcelain tiles..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just tiled the utility room floor with porcelain tiles (Rajah Rust, Angora Collection) from Topps tiles.

Hoping to grout the floor in the morning, but do porcelain tiles require sealing before I grout.

Some say all porcelain should be sealed others say only if it says to do so, just wondering what the opinion is here?

The box says nowt about sealing.

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
do a water test on one of them...pour some water drops on it..if the tile absords the water,then seal.

imo you should always seal porcelain anyway to stop, dirt,gease.. etc ingress into them,wont do you any harm to seal.

it would really depend on the type of porcelain, polished porcelain requires sealing with a good impregnating sealer UNLESS the tiles are nano glazed ( mostly porcelain from china are nano glazed)

If your tiles are not glazed, seal them but only sparingly as too much sealer can leave a sticky mess on the tiles, also check the tiles for signs of wax, thjis is put on to stop staining in transit, the wax needs to be thoroughly taken off before sealing or the sealer wont work properly.

you could use HG Impregnator or a lithofin sealer

forgot all about the transit wax there jimmy... ;)

there are some good porkies out there and there are some real carp ones out there to(imports from china..lol)

Sponsored Links
forgot all about the transit wax there jimmy... ;)

there are some good porkies out there and there are some real carp ones out there to(imports from china..lol)

you dont mean to tell me that with all your years of knowledge and experince you actually forgot something Davie mate, must be like me, OLD AGE :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tiles are Italian with a matt finish I would say, certainly not polished.

Have a cutting with a couple drops of water on and will see what happens.

JC would that be your choice of sealers?

I am new to this Forum so sorry to do a duplicate posting on another Tile thread but here goes again -

We have just been out and purchased 600 x 600 tiles, from Topps Tiles called Brussels Polished Porcelain, as they will fit perfectly on our kitchen work top.

One problem!! We have purchased the Fila Polished Porcelain Protector and now after reading tin I have got a little hesitant as to whether this product is safe to use when in contact with food even when it is 'cured' after 12 hours.

I have looked on the site and some of the other sealers state are safe with food but they do not list the one I have.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Davesomerset
when you say foods...??

anyway look ..imo aquamix sealers gold...

think this will do the job for you mate...
best of
tictic

Thanks - so probably best to take this Fila product back.

Can I get the one you recommend from well known stores?

Wife has been reading up on 'cheap' Porcelain tiles and now wondering if we have done the right thing. Though we are pleased with colour, etc. When I say food it is only general use in our kitchen - nothing commercial.

We have had a small floor tile??? on the top for 30+ years and now want a change - how about that.

Have you any experience of Porcelain Tiles used as work tops although I did see an impressive photo by one of the members and that is where I posted first.

Can anyone contact Foxhole?

I wondered what type of tile he used and prep work carried out.

Could be really useful.

Thanks

Made a decision and going for Lithofin. Stockist only 6 miles away.

Many thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back