Certifying new work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the building of an extension mainly funded by a disabled facilities grant from the local authority I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place.

When I approached the local authority about the final grant payment they said they will not pay the outstanding balance until all the work is signed off by the BCO.

The builder was supposed to have submitted drawings for building regs approval, but the BCO said he was working from a notice to build instead. :confused:

The BCO have now made their final inspection, but willl not sign off the work without certification from the builder for the electrical installation. :(

When I opened the envelope the builder had left on top of the new consumer unit all it contained was a pamphlet from a motor trader advertising second hand vans :evil:

The builder has 'disappeared' as they tend to just before the brown stuff gets in the air conditioning. :evil: :evil:

The BCO say they do not have the facilities to inspect the electrical work. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Other electrical contractors rightly refuse to certify work by others. :(

The BCO then said they will be happy with a PIR. :)

The electricians I approached said the NICEIC will not allow them to issue a PIR on installations that are less than a year old. :(

The local Authority say the grant is only available for one year, and that year is now coming to an end. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Other than placing a thermonuclear device under the builder, which I may find satisfying but unlikely to produce a certificate, Can anyone suggest a way forward?

Sponsored Links
Ask them to do a non niceic PIR then (though I've never heard of this rule), or get a non-niceic contractor in. Unless the LABC have specified a NICEIC PIR, that is

FYI, anyone can do a PIR and forms to do so are available from the IEE site FOC, NICEIC issue their contractors with their own forms and can impose conditions on the use of these etc

P.S. If no previous records are available, how are you supposed to know the age of the installation ;)

read the bit in the wiki on part p of the building regs (this is the bit that covers electrics) theres references to it been the BC's reposibility to pay for testing (you pay for the inspection) dont know if it applies in this case, but it has some pretty usefull references on it.

Sponsored Links
Can't you sort him out with a PIR on IEE forms John D, you're in Hampshire?

:D

Does not have to be NICEIC that does the PIR. Go to http://www.napitonline.com/fastSearch.asp and type in yr postcode.

However, BCO may say that they do not have the facilities to do the inspect but (assuming they have taken yr ££ for building regs) in most cases they are obliged to do so. WIKI tells all.

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back