CH Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best make of CH condensing boiler. (NON combi)

I was looking at a GLOW WORM 18Hxi
are these any good?
If not what makes are recommended?

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a Bosch Greenstar, Vaillant, or the Ideal Icos (or is it Isar) which is rightly very popular. Some of the condensing Glow worms were disasters.

ChrisR said:
I'd go for a Bosch Greenstar, Vaillant, or the Ideal Icos (or is it Isar) which is rightly very popular. Some of the condensing Glow worms were disasters.

Isar is the combi Icos is the system, I have had problems with the PCB with both but IDEAL spot on at sorting it out.......cannot recommend highly enough lovely boilers.

Must agree with statement about GLOWORM :rolleyes: nuff said

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

Will go for the
Ideal Icos 30/80 (NON system as I want the programmer away from the boiler).
Do you know if this is compatable with the danfoss controls?
I imagen it would be but its best to check

Now just have to wait for the planning permeation for the extension to come back.

Dave12345 said:
Thanks for your help.

Will go for the

Now just have to wait for the planning permeation for the extension to come back.

no probs with an external programmer on a system icos have installed many a one on it

as for danfos sure it is :LOL:

Thanks again.

One last question what size pump would be neaded for it as the boiler is rated from 30K to 80K

5M pumps say upto 60K and
6M pumps say over 60K

the requiaments for the house are ~50K btu's

Sorry to be a pain!

i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but you can turn a big pump down, but you cant turn a small pump up

Dave12345 said:
Thanks again.

One last question what size pump would be neaded for it as the boiler is rated from 30K to 80K

5M pumps say upto 60K and
6M pumps say over 60K

the requiaments for the house are ~50K btu's

Sorry to be a pain!

you will not need one with a ideal icos mate they come with one

Does the non-system boiler come witha pump? I admit I've never fitted one of the non-system ones. (Wonder why they didn't call that an Isys!)

all them M series Ideal boilers have a lntegral pump 15 60 i think chris

have only installed One non system Icos, and that was only because the customer, nice ol'boy, was having kittens about a pressurised system and I could not convince him that it would not be set at ARRRRRRRGH PSI :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It seems to be working fine an dandy

Dave12345 said:
Thanks for your help.

Will go for the

Just rereading this and am interested, you were going for a non system just because you wanted an external programmer.(as I said earlier you can have one with a system)is this the only reason?

so how are you getting on

That and the price.
The Ideal Icos 30/80(NON System) Is £675 and
The Ideal Icos FF 30/80(System) Is £787.
I intend to fit a Y plan vented system.
As I want the external programmer anyway the extra cost of the extra components is less than the difference in the price of the boilers.

Or am I missing something?

I chose the vented system instead of the pressurized because all though I have a far amount of experience in plumming (Fitting baths sinks, etc). I do have never fitted a CH system before and as a rule I dont like to start a job I am not confident I have the skils to finish(The running of the gas suply and comishening of the system I will be getting a corgi enginer in to do).

Please if you have any coments or alarm bells are sounding I will always lisen to those who have the expertees.

Thanks Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back