CH expansion tank vent pipe sleeve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing and relocating my water tanks in the loft. The new cold water storage tank (Polytank Blue) comes with full kit (for a total of 5 holes to be cut into the tank), including what they call a "Screwed Screened Breather" and a "Screwed Vent Pipe Sleeve". The CH cistern (Polytank 18-12-12) comes with a similar kit, but lacks these last two items.

The Vent Pipe Sleeve allows pass-through of the 22mm vent pipe:

screwed_vent_pipe_sleeve.jpg

The identical looking (but red!) PolyRed comes pre-assembled with the vent pipe sleeve fitted.

So any ideas where can I get a "vent pipe sleeve", preferably online, please?

Failing that, what would you do?

Bonus question, given that the screened overflow already vents to the outside world, and is erm.. screened, what purpose does the separate "Screened Breather" serve?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have to cut a hall for the vent pipe as per the note on the right, some heating systems don’t need a vent over the top,called (single vent and feed).

Sponsored Links
Thanks crossthread, do you mean where it says "These instructions are intended as a guide only"? ;)

Have already cut 3 holes, so 1 more won't hurt.

Question is about the vent pipe sleeve. They have it on the pre-assembled version.

Is it needed? Where can I get one?

Fwiw, the overflow is filtered.

Check your suppliers they may have them ,but they are not required on a expansion tank as it’s not drinking water

some heating systems don’t need a vent over the top,called (single vent and feed).

Hi, Just wondering would there be any advantage to deleting the up and over vent pipe as part of the cistern relocation, and what it would involve?

Here's current setup. Conventional boiler with Y-plan. Pump flow is down. It's been this way since install 1985. Existing cistern is 1.7m above the 'H' junction. New cistern will be raised an additional 0.3m and sideways about 1.6m.

Code:
#####
#   #
#   #
#
#  ~~~~~
#  ~~+~~
#    |
#    |
#    |
#    |
#    |
#    |
#    |
#    |
#    x
#    |
#    |
######
#    #
#    #
#    P
#    #
#    #  #####>> cyl.
#    #  #
#    ###M
#       #
#       #####>> rads
#
#
#############<< boiler

| = 15mm
# = 22mm
P = Pump (flow down)
M = Motorised valve

Last edited:
Depends on make of the boiler,if you download the installation instructions it may give advice. It must have overheat cut out built in ,all modern boilers have this.

It's a Potterton Netaheat Electronic 6/10. I'm inclined to keep the configuration as it is, but the upper pipework will be replaced so if it can be improved then now is the time to do it.

If the system has a Vent pipe, then keep it as it is, messing about may only lead to issues. Make sure it remain on a continuous rise to up and over the cistern.

Secondly, a Feed and Expansion cistern doesn't need the Byelaw 30 kit, so as long as the cistern has a fitted lid and is insulated correctly, thats all you need to worry about. The Byelaw 30 kits were designed to keep foreign matter out of cold water storage cisterns to enable the stored water to remain fit for drinking across the building.

What I would be going is to cut the three pipes- vent, feed and supply pipes raise the cistern vertically. Debur the cuts and make good the 15mm pipes with copper tube.

22 tube- extend from cut and add the final bit.

Use compression fittings.

three pipes will be the same length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back