CH flow temperature on a Greenstar 18i

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started to go down the heatpump rabbit hole last month and on my journey in the warren I came across this website www.heatpunk.co.uk. Woopee I thought this is right up my street, measuring my house layout, window sizes and what not. I got it all done and felt very pleased with myself. Then I looked at the result! So to get a flow temperature of say 45C I will need to add several extra rads, in most of the downstairs rooms, not to mention the HP and assorted bits to go with.
Do I really want all the mess of extra rads, where to site the HP (best location is on the side of the house, 15ft up!) etc etc.
But then I started to play around with flow temperatures to see at what temperature I could get away with doing no rad upgrades. Turns out only one room is unbalanced for heat input vs heat loss at 55C. With this one room, it would be a fairly simple and not expensive job to add one more rad.
So I loooked at my Greenstar 18 i, fitted in 2014, and thought how do I set the CH temperature to match the heatloss? There is a dial with numbers on it but no temperature indicator.
So that's the question here, what number on this system boiler equates to 55C flow temperature?

Sponsored Links
Is it like this knob?

1706042416663.png

I started to go down the heatpump rabbit hole last month and on my journey in the warren I came across this website www.heatpunk.co.uk. Woopee I thought this is right up my street, measuring my house layout, window sizes and what not. I got it all done and felt very pleased with myself. Then I looked at the result! So to get a flow temperature of say 45C I will need to add several extra rads, in most of the downstairs rooms, not to mention the HP and assorted bits to go with.
Do I really want all the mess of extra rads, where to site the HP (best location is on the side of the house, 15ft up!) etc etc.
But then I started to play around with flow temperatures to see at what temperature I could get away with doing no rad upgrades. Turns out only one room is unbalanced for heat input vs heat loss at 55C. With this one room, it would be a fairly simple and not expensive job to add one more rad.
So I loooked at my Greenstar 18 i, fitted in 2014, and thought how do I set the CH temperature to match the heatloss? There is a dial with numbers on it but no temperature indicator.
So that's the question here, what number on this system boiler equates to 55C flow temperature?
A flow temp of 55C will give a rad output of 56% of its rated output (T50) but a heat pump (if/when installed) obviously needs to run at the lowest possiblt temperature to get a maximum COP, if the HP is run at 45C then you might get DHW at 38C/40C with boosting to 60C only required once/week for legionella protection, the rad output then will be 37% of its rated output, a flow temp of 50C will give a rad output of 46% of rated output.

A flow temp of 55C will give a rad output of 56% of its rated output (T50) but a heat pump (if/when installed) obviously needs to run at the lowest possiblt temperature to get a maximum COP, if the HP is run at 45C then you might get DHW at 38C/40C with boosting to 60C only required once/week for legionella protection, the rad output then will be 37% of its rated output, a flow temp of 50C will give a rad output of 46% of rated output.
So based on those figures will the OP need radiators roughly twice the output of the existing ones?

Sponsored Links
Correct, T30s, the attached will give some idea of what might be achieved with rads that were originally sized for -5C outside temperature, with a required room temp(s) of 21C, of course in lots of cases the existing rads are oversized anyway but hardly by a factor of 2?.

1706102167993.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back