CH - hot water does not come up to 1st floor

PKa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder is there anybody want to listen to my story, all about CH which does not work (sorry Paul).

Configuration:
Sealed pressurised
Combi Worchester 24CDi
Pump Grundfos UPS 15-60 Class H, speed set to III (I presume the highest, settings are 1, 2, 3)
Pressure normally is 1.2 bar

Boiler is fitted in the kitchen on the ground floor. 22mm F & R pipes are coming out of the boiler and go under the floor into the living room. Out of them, 2 15mm pipes feed what i call a "small loop" - 3 rads, kitchen, bathroom and toilet.

In living room there are 2 rads, and there is another one in the hall. How they are connected there I do not know, did not rip off the living room floor yet. But, F&R 22mm pipes are coming up to the 1st floor. There, in the hallway they got reduced to 15mm and this going into the bedroom to the last rad.

What I have done is added a radiator to the small loop (3d one, in the kitchen, were only 2 before). This was done about a month ago, and before that system was not used since end of April (so about 4 month).

Now the story begins :confused:

After I had added the radiator, I filled the system, let the air out and switched the boiled on. Have you guessed what happened next? Well, you probably guessed wrong as my new radiator in the kitchen heated up almost instantly and nicely. I was of course very proud of myself and with admiring missus on my tail went on to inspect the other rads. Toilet OK, bathroom OK, 2 in living room ok, hall OK, coming up to the 1st floor... Cold. Rad is cold. Flow pipe is cold as well.

Hm, thought I and though a bit more. After which I had closed the valves on it (Drayton TRV and lockshield), removed the rad and bleed water from flow. Soon, warm and then hot water started to come out. Aha, thought I, there is a block in the rad then! Took rad out in the garden and flushed it with hose. After a wile the water coming from the other end was reasonably clean. Fit rad back in, added pressure, let air out... Cold.

I took off the boards in the hallway on the 1st floor - the 22mm pipes which come from downstairs remained cold no matter how long I left the heating on.

Just in case - serviced the boiler (was time anyway). Engineer came and said boiler is ok. I asked about the capacity - could extra radiator be 1 too many. He said, no, the boiler could heat 2 houses of this size. OK.

Tried to close ALL the rads downstairs, so the only way to go for water is in upstairs rad. At this point - hot water stopped leaving the boiler altogether. I.e. F pipe remains cold even in 10 cm from the point it comes out of it. The moment I open any of the downstairs radiators, water starts circulating again.

Hm, thought I. Might be a block somewhere in the pipes then. Could not imagine how that might happen, but looks like it is. So (you guys might laugh reading further, but I was really desperate) I bought a water pump from Argos, brought up 2 buckets of clean water upstairs, connected the hose to the R pipe (radiator is off) and flushed the system (opening drain valve downstairs, of course) Something resembling the sand came out, but only a small quantity. Phew, thought I that must had been a problem. Radiator back, pressure up, air off - nothing. Pipes coming upstairs - cold.

What I ended up with today is this - I opened 1 downstairs rad and switched the boiler to have some hot water in the system. Closed rad, removed upstairs rad, connected my pump to F & R pipes and switched it on, basically forcing water circulation in my system. It worked - the hot water I had in the system downstairs came up, pipes were hot, etc, so there is no blockage in the system as far as I can tell. I left it pumping for about 5 minutes, checked the pressure gauge - was stable at about 0.7 (I did not put in 1.2 just in case). Disconnected everything, put the rad back on, switched the boiler on - nothing changed. All the rads downstairs are fine, but water stubbornly refuses to go UP. And I sort of want it there, as the bedroom is upstairs :)

Would MUCH APPRECIATE any input. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I dont have the time to read all tha above as we are not paid and five our limited time free to help.

My immediate reaction is that you dont seem to have mentioned balancing the system.

Get a book and folow it.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back