CH/HW programmer isolator switch - what do I buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing all the sockets and switches in my kitchen and not sure what type of switch I need to replace the one controlling the heating/water programmer. It's not fused (3A non switched fuse is in the airing cupboard). Can anyone tell me please?

Also is a 20A Double pole correct for the water heater switch?

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the item you are wanting to replace?

Sponsored Links
Need a picture of the front. The wiring shows its a double pole something, but need the front view too.

I think OP says it is just a switch.

To OP - More information is needed.

Do you have a wiring box where all the cables for the CH join?
Is the central heating on the socket circuit?
If so where is the CH spurred from this circuit; does it go to the fuse first, then to the switch and then back to the CH control?
Or does it go to the switch first and then to the fuse and CH control?

That looks like a round cable in the back of the box; is it a multi-wire to the timer/programmer.

Photo of the front:
Answers as best I can:
Do you have a wiring box where all the cables for the CH join? A:I think this is in the airing cupboard.
Is the central heating on the socket circuit? A:Not sure what you mean - it's controlled from the switch in question which is fused from the airing cupboard.
If so where is the CH spurred from this circuit; does it go to the fuse first, then to the switch and then back to the CH control? Or does it go to the switch first and then to the fuse and CH control?

That looks like a round cable in the back of the box; is it a multi-wire to the timer/programmer.
A: The round cable goes from programmer to switch to boiler (I think - pic attached) - fuse and wiring box are further on upstairs in airing cupboard. Pic:

Does this help?

Thought this would be simple but can get an electrician to do it if required.

Re: on socket circuit - does heating/boiler go off if you pull socket circuit fuse (or switch off circuit breaker) in the consumer unit?

Does ALL of CH go off if you remove the fuse in the airing cupboard?

From your latest pictures it looks as if all is ok.

So, returning to your original question - you can replace the switch with any double pole switch - 13A would do IF airing cupboard fuse covers ALL CH.

Thanks

Yes CH/boiler goes off completely if I switch breaker off or remove fuse.

Answers much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back