immersion heater wall switch.

Sponsored Links
I have also seen all three in various places burnt out.
Would that be due to you're wiring method? i.e. 32a OPD protecting the wiring :cautious:
The rating of the OPD is surely irrelevant? An accessory will only 'burn out' if an excessive current flows through it (or if the termination of conductors within it are not satisfactory) - and, to-all-intents-and-purposes, an immersion cannot create such an 'overload', no matter what OPD is protecting the circuit.

[some 'clever' soul sometimes comes up with the suggestion of a short from the element to its earthed casing part way along the element - but that, of course, would cause an RCD to operate]

Kind Regards, John

How many kilowatts is the immersion heater ? If it is 2 kW that it can be on a 13 amp plug. ( good quality one, not a 99p one ).

Having it on a plug or two pole FCU allows it to be fully isolated when it develops an earth leakage fault.

Sponsored Links
How many kilowatts is the immersion heater ? If it is 2 kW that it can be on a 13 amp plug. ( good quality one, not a 99p one ).
The vast majority of domestic immersion heaters are 3 kW, aren't they? Although that is theoretically still within the rating of a 13A plug - but, as EFLI has said, that can result in problems.
Having it on a plug or two pole FCU allows it to be fully isolated when it develops an earth leakage fault.
... or (as EFLI has also said), preferably, a two-pole (probably "20 A") switch.

Kind Regards, John

I can't find any on the market now, but when I started in this game, there were domestic immersion elements that were on the wrong side of 3kW.

Not talking about electrode boilers...!

Interesting that they state:

"UK manufactured Incoloy 2kW Immersion Heater which is suitable for wiring into a standard 13a plug socket. We are one of the only few companies in the UK to offer such product.

Please do not mistake this product for a 3kW Immersion Heater which is not suitable for wiring into a normal 13a plug socket."

here we go ...
I didn't say that 2 kW one's don't exist but, rather, that the vast majority of domestic ones are 3 kW, and I still think that's true.

Even the link you provides implicitly admits that they are very unusual, claiming that they are one of the few sources of 2 kW immersions in the UK!

Kind Regards, John

The rating of the OPD is surely irrelevant? An accessory will only 'burn out' if an excessive current flows through it
WTF :confused: ?
What's your difficulty with what I wrote - it's surely a statement of the obvious, isn't it? If the nature of the load is such that it cannot result in an ('overload') current greater than, say, 13A, then an accessory which can tolerate 13A without 'burning out' will not burn out, whether the OPD is 13A, 20A, 32A or 50A.

Fault (rather than overload) currents are a different matter - but, provided the Zs of the circuit was low enough for the particular OPD protecting it, the OPD (whatever its rating) would operate in response to a fault.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back