Country
United Kingdom
Wallstar Oil Boiler located in kitchen
Honeywell V4073A 3 port mid pos Valve
Grundfos pump under 3 port valve.
Honeywell ST6400C programmer
Honeywell L641A cylinder stat
No room stat!

1) OK this system was in before we moved in 6 years ago, no change to anything. We have never been able to have the CH on without HW. When I select the CH on programmer, the light comes on but boiler does not fire up nor the pump in airing cupboard, it only fires up when the HW is also selected (or HW on it's own). Also the digital display on programmer has never worked properly (bit of digits missing)

I've Checked 3 port valve, seems OK (can move by hand). Actuator seems to be moving OK - when CH and HW is selected (pump only kicks in when HW selected)

Suspect it's probably not been wired up correctly from day one or Valve/header fault??

2) Also water is very hot and has been for quite some time (temp set to 60c) - suspected cylinder stat, but I think it's OK as turned it down to 40 last night and water was cooler - but it's red hot if left on 60. Is this normal? - due to fact that water is on all day when CH is on?

3) Also had very hot water in F&E tank over weekend and was overflowing - hot water was entering tank from vent pipe! I emptied tank (was rust-coloured water which is worrying) and refilled, turned pump down to 2 (I turned it up to 3 recently as a few rads downstairs were taking a while to come on). Problem looks to be resolved, checked again today OK - cold clear water in tank and cold vent pipe.

do you think these are linked issues? Do I need to drain down and clean?

Sponsored Links
Your system should control the hot water temperature.

There seems to be some basic fault in the wiring or valve.

The sludge problem could be serious but its odd that it seems back to normal now. It could be the water in F&E tank is clear but the system water is still dirty!

Tony

Thanks, so you think it's wiring or valve related? Any idea why water is so hot when set to 60deg?

I looked on back of programmer and see wires only on L, N, E and connectors 3 and 4, this doesn't look right to me when looking at wiring diagram for the 6400C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back