CH query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new house and had a few problems with the CH system. Just trying to understand what does what etc...

Could someone please help me to identify the 2 red headed taps in the picture and let me know what they do, the lower one was virtually closed when I was draining down and I'm not sure what position it should be in.

Am now having problems with a few cold rads, have tried balancing but not really having much success so far

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
bottom gate valve is a bypass back to the return pipework, and top gate valve is cylinder return to adjust flow

The lower one's a bypass, which connects Flow straight to Return on the boiler. Normally open only about one turn of the red head, but what's the boiler?

The other one is to balance the HW heating circuit with the rest - ie the rads. That also doesn't need to be open much, maybe 2 turns! The more it's open, the more the HW will get priority when both CH and HW are on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, how much more should I open it, 2 turns ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back