CH replumb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice on replacing the pipes to all of the radiators in my 1960's bungalow.

The boiler was changed to a combi and the hot water tank removed by the previous clown...erm owner, the rads are still however connected as a one pipe system and well over 40 years old.

The heating is dire, takes about 4 hours for the rooms to warm up by 5 degrees, and in any case will not heat the building above 19 degrees or so. The rads do get fairly hot after half an our or so. Also the boiler is constanlty cycling on and of as the heated water just goes around the one pipe.

So question, the bungalow is a small detatched 2 bedroom with the boiler pretty much in the centre of the building and 7 radiators.

Obviously it needs a two pipe system so would I be best running two 22mm pipes around the property in two rings ( 1 x flow 1x return ) and teeing of with 15mm to the rads or would I be better off connecting a couple of manifolds to the flow and return of the boiler and running 10 or 15mm pipes in pairs to the radiators in a radial fashion.

Im intending to use hep20 pipe (barrier) and fittings to make life easer.

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
if the boiler is about central

2x22mm drops then tee left and right
branch your rads off where you want

plenty of lagging on the pipework

and some cleanser in the system / boiler a week or so before you start wouldnt be a bad idea

dont forget drain taps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back