CH stays on even though timer is set off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a problem with a Valliant Ecomax 824/2E boiler.

The central heating on the boiler comes on even though the timer says OFF, the timer is wired as according to the boiler manual. I've even tested its not the timers fault by unplugging the cables which would signal the boiler to come on.

When the CH comes on (when timer is set OFF), even if i turn the CH temperature dial all the way down, it continues to heat.
No fault codes seem to come up and the "status" doesn't seem to show anything odd.

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
and the "status" doesn't seem to show anything odd.

But what does the status show?

I don't recall the exact numbers but it says something like s.23 then s.24
which is ignition sequence warm start, then burner ignited.

What I mean about "anything odd" is that it doesn't say s.34 for instance, aka frost protection mode.

I must note, that when the boiler does come on without prompt from the timer,
The temperature displayed on the LCD display increases pretty rapidly and after 5mins or so, the flame turns off (I cant note any status numbers at this point). When it does this, If i remember correctly, the pump is on.

When the timer is operated, and CH set to ON, the CH will come on, and the temperature will increase slowly (as you would expect), and the flame will turn off if the temperature dial on the boiler is turned down (as expected)

Sponsored Links
Guffed diverter valve causing the warmstart to keep kicking in.

Or perhaps a guffed diverter valve and a drippy tap acting together.

No drippy taps from what I can see, however I will not rule it out (for now), Id imagine you'd need a very drippy tap to give the boiler the impression you need the heat to come on? (The HW symbol or whatever has not came on the display when the heat comes on unexpectedly).

I'm a newbie when it comes to boilers, please explain how the diverter valve would make the boiler turn on. (would this also explain temperature increasing fast?)

How can the diverter valve be checked to be okay or not?
Can it be stripped, greased and put back together?

Thanks

If the warmstart is calling for heat, but the diverter valve is guffed, then the the being generated is being sent down the heating rather than to the domestic heat exchanger (to satisfy the warmstart sensor).

This is based in the hypothesis that the boiler thinks it is doing warmstart.

If the warmstart is calling for heat, but the diverter valve is guffed, then the the being generated is being sent down the heating rather than to the domestic heat exchanger (to satisfy the warmstart sensor).

This is based in the hypothesis that the boiler thinks it is doing warmstart.

So what should I do?

I forgot the mention at the start, the boiler has been standing (not ran at all) for atleast 5/6 months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back