chaffoteaux flexiflue problem very weird

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am having a nightmare with a flexiflue. last month i replaced the pcb as it had burnt out. got a recon one from allspares in wembley. all was ok.
got another call last week. the fan had seized & the cooling ring had come loose on the shaft. fitted a new fan.
now the weird bit. the t/c would not hold unless i bridged out the connectors on the bottom of the pcb. (therefore t/c & thermo electric valve ok. spoke to ariston today & they said aps fault. what happens is that when i switch on the electrics the fan goes up to full speed & when i open the tap it goes back to rest speed. if i swap the black & orange wires on the microswitch (diaphragm) over then it behaves correctly but pilot will not hold unless i run the tap to get hi speed fan & then move the control knob from pilot to main gas. the microswitch is working correctly & so is the aps. also i fitted another pcb today but it made no difference so i think i can rule it out.
any advice please as i am quite stressed & so is the customer.
ps i am self employed gas safe registered & prior to working for 3 years on my own spent 18 years with british gas but left when they turned engineers into rip off salesmen !

Sponsored Links
Check that the air inlet duct (Concentric flue) is clear we had a similar problem with one of these last year turned out to be a ton of leaves stuck in spiders webs reducing the air flow at idle causing the APS to drop out, which as you know knocks out the thermocouple interupter ;)

happens with the case off so not lack of air although i will check the flue anyway.
just cant work out why fan is on full speed at rest & goes to slow when microswitch makes when the tap is turned on.
have checked all wiring connections & all are as wiring diagram on boiler casing.

Sponsored Links
boilerman2. just re-read your reply (thanks by the way) & don't understand one part. when you say the aps will drop out on idle & cause pilot outage, then what does the aps do? i thought it made on hi speed & went back to rest mode at low speed fan (idle)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back