Chalet bungalow "loft" rooms overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping for some practical suggestions ... Desperately trying to find a way to cool down the bedrooms in our 1930s style chalet bungalow which was built in the 1950s. Apparently its not a conversion and was built as a chalet bungalow. In winter the temp drops to a low of 14 degrees which is not ideal but is ok but at the moment it's still 24degrees at 9 pm at night. We have a 15 month old and that kind of heat is not great.

The two bedrooms upstairs are separated by a normal if steep staircase. There's one long dormer along the front of the house (west facing) which provides windows to the two bedrooms and the staircase. These windows are badly double glazed and don't open. Each bedroom also has its own dormer window which does open. Before we moved in, we had Celatex 125mm thick installed between the sloping rafters and the ceilings replastered. We couldn't fit celatex on the sides or rooves of the dormer windows because there wasn't enough space so these aren't insulated at all. We left the non sloping internal concrete block walls alone. The attic space (a narrow passageway in the eaves which runs around the two bedrooms) has maybe 75mm thick yellow fibreglass? insulation. I'm not sure if the attic space is vented particularly well but as that's not the bit we live in, does that matter?

We think we have to install better double glazing (and reduce the size of the windows so that we can celatex the dormers) but we are not sure what else we should or could do. Is the problem in fact fixable? How can we get the hot air to escape? For some reason we can't get a draft to flow between the open bedroom doors and the two dormer windows that do open. If the new double glazing in the long dormer at the front of the house could be opened, would that create a draft when combined wit) the other open windows? We are currently using a fan in the toddler's bedroom but it's not very effective.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

to find a way to cool the upstairs bedrooms in the summer.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the rather abrupt sign off - keyboard not working.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Damson

24 degress is the temp of my lounge which is ground floor and well insulated in walls and loft so i dont think 24 is overly hot , but if you could get a draft going it would shift the warm air

Thanks for the suggestion Lentinman - i will work on drafts but without changing the windows (not a short term solution) I've struggled to make that happen to date.

last night the temp didn't drop below 23 degrees even at dawn - and while I'd be very happy if our livin room was that temp 23 degrees did make for an uncomfortable sleep for all of us. It's the little one I worry about. Before we switched the fan on it was 27 degrees and it was 25 degrees when she went to bed which is not good for them.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
We have a dormer and similar issue. We found that a good quality well fitting black out blind works well in keeping the heat out during the day.

Still gets quite warm though. Couple of times last year toddlers bedroom got to 36! Improved since black out installed though.

I had the same issue on the top floor of my 3 storey house, this floor is in the roof space with a small lost above so is probably similar to your layout.

You need to do 2 things - stop it heating up so much in the first place and also provide a way of getting the heat out if it does get too hot.

We put 50mm insulated plasterboard on all the walls and angled bits under the roof and then reinsulated the small horizontal ceiling area with 400mm rockwool. We then also put a velux style window at the opposite end of each room to the existing window which enables us to shif some air through it if it does get too warm.

If there are any parts that have not already been insulated, I would be thinking in terms of pulling off all the plasterboard so you can insulate between the timbers, then reboard using a foil-backed plasterboard to prevent moisure getting into the space and causing condensation. You will see if any repairs are needed to the roof when it is exposed.

An alternative, if the roof needs retiling, would be to take off the tiles and felt and apply the insulation from the outside.

Sounds like you also need to improve ventilation on at least two sides to allow airflow. It does not have to come from windows.

Thanks very much to these suggestions. Dormermike We do have black out blinds but they don't fit closely so that is something we will look at.

The Victorian Unfortunately, we can't install windows opposite the existing ones that open as the relevant walls are internal but maybe we could put roof vents in?

Does anyone know if this job would cost less than new windows? Would we lose too much heat in winter? I'm guessing low down air bricks in the walls aren't going to much?

The Victorian We could put some more rockwool in the roof space above the bedrooms - that's a good idea. Could we just stuff the entire space or do we need to leave a gap between the rafters and rockwool for ventilation?

JohnD everything's insulated apart from the dwarf walls (made of single skin concrete blocks) which rise up to meet the roof and behind which is the attic space. Should we also insulate those? I thought they might be "protected" by the attic space behind them?

Thanks again everyone. There seems to be alot on the net about venting US attics but not much about cooling down UK chalet rooms. I now feel like I have a few avenues to start exploring. All suggestions and further thoughts gratefully received.

Damson

I had my roof re-tiled a couple of years ago and got 2 velux windows fitted as we had poor ventilation in the summer and they are now a godsend..in this weather I have the bedroom windows open ,bedroom door and loft hatch and windows open and the draught is great with a comfortable sleep plus the benfit of natural daylight in the loft also..my advice would be to get window or windows fitted and look at the insulation whilr you are there

Thanks very much for sharing your experience and for that suggestion Bodgeit, will look into getting velux installed too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back