Change Drive Belt on Holden Astra 1.8 TS 1998 (Australian)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heya Guys,

Excuse my ignorance for maintenance of cars, but i just CANNOT get a drive belt onto the pulleys.

How do you do it.

Its the belt that Drives the Alternator and A/C, which has a total of 3 Pulleys, and one wheel for tension. Its a 1998 September model.

I just cannot get the belt on.

Can't find any tips on this one, must be to simple.

Can't seem to see anywhere that will allow me to de-tension the belt by moving a pulley with a bolt, so how to I get it on.

I have heated the belt in the oven to VERY hot (i was barley able to hold it), and that made no differnce..

Can anyone tell me how i get the bloody belt on the car?

Frustrating.

Sponsored Links
Sorry cant help But why put a Rubber belt in the oven, surely that will only damage said belt.
there must be a bolt & slide adjuster somewhere!! :eek:

You say in your third paragraph that it has a wheel for tension. If it has a big nut in the middle of it, try turning that anti-clockwise with a spanner. It might be an automatic tensioner.

JonB said:
Sorry cant help But why put a Rubber belt in the oven, surely that will only damage said belt.
there must be a bolt & slide adjuster somewhere!! :eek:

Engines produces more than a little heat... was just trying to warm it up.

Sponsored Links
Stivino said:
You say in your third paragraph that it has a wheel for tension. If it has a big nut in the middle of it, try turning that anti-clockwise with a spanner. It might be an automatic tensioner.

Thanks, thats teh pointer i need i think...

It does have a nut on it, just need a closer look in daylight now. And that would make perfect sense as the option...

Hope your right...

Cheers for teh pionter guys..

:)

The Wheel is spring loaded...

So, when i lift it with a spanner, it moves to the left, and gives me more slack..

Unfortunately, i can't move it quite far enough.

Its only a 1/2 CM slack out.. Maybe i have the wrong belt.. they had a lot of troubled matching it up...

Any more ideas... does the spring that its attached to untention as well?

It seems a little bit too much brute force approach at the mo..

Very frustrated...

The wheel needs to have a strong spring to keep the correct tension on the belt.
Did you try turning the central bolt clockwise, like the Vauxhalls? I think I originally said anti-clockwise.

Dear chapmad
I hope you get it sorted, but I would check that the belt is still supple after you have baked it!! It could even have been singed.

The tensioner wheel is the most likely one you need to rely on as others hve said but you could also check the alternator to see if it's mounted on a sliding mount.

Unlike the Commodore / Omega, the Holden Astra is identical to the Vauxhall Astra other than the name.

Regards

Fred

JonB said:
Dear chapmad
I hope you get it sorted, but I would check that the belt is still supple after you have baked it!! It could even have been singed.

I only heated it up for about 5 mins. i could still touch it with my hands.... engine produces a LOT more heat than the 60 degrees C that I got it to...

I was trying to make it stretch a little... not enough though... used hot water in the end, as it was easier to manage.....

No harm done that i can see...

In the end, I've got it checked in at the garage tommorow.. only 1 hours work max.. probably 10 mins for a mechanic.. so it will only cost me $50 bucks to get it sorted, as i already got a belt.

:)

thanks for the help guys.. it did get me a lot further, but for the sake of saving $50 dollars labour, im gonna stop mucking about and get a garage to fit the belt..

:D

Sponsored Links
Back