change of career

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Forgive me if this has been posted already, but I am interested in becoming an electrician. I am 26 so too old for an apprenticeship however i would be prepared to take courses off my own back. I live in Scotland and im unsure who the trade body is for qualifications and which courses are required to become fully qualified. Im hoping theres a course with a decent amount of practical in with the theory and then perhaps find employment to gain experience before going alone. Is this possible or is an apprenticeship the only route in?

thanks for any advice

pippo

Sponsored Links
Ask your local college for courses,
city and guilds 236 parts 1 and 2 for starters, then you need your regs which for you would be 17th edition, then get your practical A.M. 1 and 2.
Try to find a local contractor who will take you on as an adult trainee or go contracting as an electricians labourer or mate and do your college when you have to. Imho dont go on one oe these fast track courses yes they will give you the qualifications but you will not get experience and that is what you really need.

Hi Pippo

I currently work 4 days on 4 days off in Telecoms. I have recently completed my C&G2330 level 2 (which is the new version of 236) the course is through OLCI which is a fast track if you want it to be, its up to you how quickly you attend each workshop , I have a HNC in electrical & Electronic engineering so the theory side of the course is still fresh with me the practical side is where I have learn the most. Level 3 is more on the Testing side , I would recommend a book by Anthony Hinsley called Testing Electrical Installations A practical guide for electricians.

People may say that the fast track isnt the same as 2 years at college but it depends on how much are willing to learn , at the end of the day you pay a lot of money so its your time you would be wasting.
I sent letters to local sparks in and around the area just explaining my background etc I found more success from sole traders with no apprentice , be patient though as it is generally rewires where you get the call but once you have helped out and mucked in then you are likely to be asked again.

On my 4 days off I have been working with electricians in the area , mainly 1st fix rewires i.e. lots of house bashing but its good as its free labour for the spark and I get a chance to pick up some on site experience ,you learn a lot more being up in a loft looping together the upstairs lighting circuit than looking at a diagram in a handbook.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back