Pathway to career change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for some information on training to become an electrician but whilst continuing my present work. I have a electronics degree and am working as a software engineer. Given the current climate and the tendency to outsource to India I am looking at a safety net if that all goes wrong. I have some experience in electrics.

Any ideas on methods to become a qualified competent electrician from my position whilst continuing work. Qualifications required (C&G or other), is part time or home learning available? Is on the job training required? Etc.

Also, once the qualifications are gained do you need to subscribe to any professional body in order to carry out and certify work done?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

Sponsored Links
the current part-time route includes 2 evenings a week 3 hours an evening.
The course is 2330 level 2 and 3 will take 3 years to complete but understand this is going to change shortly, i think they are going to make it more difficult for someone who is not in the trade to enroll, I'm sure someone else will elaborate on that.
Then the next stage would be to get your 17th edition(BS7671:2008) and 2391/2392 inspection and testing, at that stage you would want to be doing some hands skills.
At the point you are deemed competent, you can join a domestic scheme provider, that will allow you to sign your work off, they charge about 500 pound a year to join. Depending which one you join, there's about five they will want you to have certain qualification, but if you have the above mentioned ones you should be okay.
Where abouts in Yorkshire do you live, I know they run courses in Huddersfield, Leeds and Keighley

Harry- your question comes up very other week on this forum, would you have a search inside the electrical UK part of DIYnot.

Try "how to become an electrician", "electrical training", "career change".

Most of the replies are the same answers to the same question. Once done, please post any further questions you have.

I'd see not reason why the theory would offer any challenge to you, but the practical might. Within the industry there is no shortage of smart, clever, exam passing, qualified folk.
The trick is to have the hands on skills and that tends to be a time served learning curve.

Books don't cover how to route cables in concrete block flats, in listed buildings, in engineering brick. How to run cables under resticted voids, under flooring systems etc.
The qualifying is the easy part, working on a rewire of a 10 bedroom palace that the client has already spent a fortune revamping and decorating first is the hard bit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. (Yes, maybe I should have searched first :oops: )

I live and work near Leeds so should be able to find local courses.

There's load of short, quick fix courses but it's not something I'd recommend doing, it much better to learn over a period of time and learn the subject not how to pass the exam.
Leeds Tech do/did the full 2330 level 2 and 3

Harry00

Avoid Leeds College of Building!!!!

Can reccomend Bradford College whole heartedly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back