Change of use Class F - community cafe allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm considering purchasing a residential house for a charity to use in England.

Partly it would be for food bank & baby clothing bank storage and financial advice but there is a potential that they might wish to start a community cafe, with a particular aim towards teenage homework clubs, people on benefits, and job creation.

My question regards the new Class F community class:

• F2(b) Halls or meeting places for the principal use of the local community
Would this allow us to hire out rooms for a charity to operate a cafe at points?

Thanks,Chris

Sponsored Links
Well, I wouldn’t want it if it was next door to me. I’d expect a few objections if you have any near neighbours.

As above
There are probably several shops/pubs going cheap at the moment that might be easier to get planning for?

@Mottie @Tigercubrider thanks for the feedback, sorry maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I'm aware that permission for change of use is likely to be difficult, although the house in question is actually on a very busy main road opposite a Co-op, so its hardly in a quiet cul-de-sac.

My question is: Does Class F2 allow you to have a cafe? We previously operated a pop up cafe in a community centre, which was also presumeably classed as a "Community" subtype; so does the new Class F allow this? We don't necessarily intend to use the space for a cafe, it would be for some office use, a food bank, and debt advice counselling, but it would be useful to know for future.

Sponsored Links
Class F wont allow a café. You need to go by the principle use of the building, and you may be allowed some ancillary eating/kitchen facilities but not a full blown café - actual use may be conditioned on any permission granted, so make sure you specify what you want to do if the café function is important.

Most councils are facing a shortage of living accommodation, so may well not approve this type of change of use unless there are compelling reasons why the use needs to be in that place and not one of the many other non-residential properties that are lying around unused - and this may well be in addition to the usual planning considerations of this use in a residential area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back