Change regular to system boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a new boiler (oil).

Current set up is traditional vented, expansion tank in the loft etc.

I was assuming I would just replace like for like - i.e. get a new regular/heat only boiler, and leave the rest as is.

One plumber has suggested I put in a system boiler instead and ditch the expansion tank in the loft (to be replaced with a pressurised expansion vessel, I assume).

I am struggling to see what the advantage would be to this. Why change from regular to system, doesn't that just create more work?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm getting a new boiler (oil).

Current set up is traditional vented, expansion tank in the loft etc.

I was assuming I would just replace like for like - i.e. get a new regular/heat only boiler, and leave the rest as is.

One plumber has suggested I put in a system boiler instead and ditch the expansion tank in the loft (to be replaced with a pressurised expansion vessel, I assume).

I am struggling to see what the advantage would be to this. Why change from regular to system, doesn't that just create more work?

Many thanks
There are pros and cons with a heat-only and system boilers. Been discussed on this forum a few times, and preference among the professionals is pretty evenly split. Personally I would replace like with like, should be cheaper.

Is your system already full pumped? Ie has one or two motorised valves?

It is pumped central heating, gravity hot water - so one motorised valve only at the moment.

I was thinking adding the hot water onto the circuit with an additional MV would be simple enough?

Sponsored Links
It is pumped central heating, gravity hot water - so one motorised valve only at the moment.

I was thinking adding the hot water onto the circuit with an additional MV would be simple enough?
You could add another MV (on the CH circuit presumably) with system or heat-only. Heat-only likely to be less work.

As you have gravity hot water that's probably why the suggestion to use a system boiler.
Often make conversation to fully pumped easier.
System boilers have both pump -expansion vessel and prv built in.
You can't just add a extra valve to existing gravity circuit without modifying existing open vent/ cold feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back