change USA plug to UK

Sponsored Links
What is the plug connected to? US equipment runs at half the voltage that we use here and at a different frequency so its not as simple as changing the plug.

It certainly is not as simple as that, unless you want November the 5th to come around a little earlier than usual.

The UK use 230v. The US use 110v for their 'portable' appliances.

As their voltage is lower, simply changing their plug would result in a loud bang of some sort when you plugged it in.

Certain items, such as lamps, can simply have the bulbs replaced and the plug changed. Other items would likely require a step down transformer which is man enough to power the device.

Items with motors certainly are not recommended for use in the UK even if you correct the voltage. The US use 60Hz as apposed to our 50Hz which causes motors to run hotter than usual, and either burn out, or cause protection circuitry to operate.

What is it you have bought?

It is also worth mentioning that anything bought there will not have a british standard, and possibly not an EU one either. As such, the safety of the item compared to items bought here may be worlds apart!

More info need I think! Some electrical goods are designed to run of either 110 or 230V, these are normally goods that run on 5V DC anyway though. If the product can run on either, it will say somewhere on the product or in the instructions. If not, don't tinker with it or 5th November (4th July for Americans) will come early.

Sponsored Links
5V DC? My computer runs on 12 and 5v DC, but its PSU says 100-250 volts.

Universal PSUs can supply a wide range of voltages, not just 5V DC. Anything from 1 volt at 200mA to 12 volts at 2 amps! :eek:

I'm witing for Mr Chigo to say what the item is before wasting any more time. Seems like he has lit blue touchpaper, and retired :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back