Changed washer - now boiler won't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought a house and I am getting to grips with DIY.

We had a dripping hout water tap in the kitchen. It took a long time to work out how to turn the hot water off. There were two red gate valve taps near one pipes coming out/going in to the boiler. I turned them of, but hot water still on.

I then managed to find three taps in the loft (one a normal stop !!!! style tap, the other two red gate valves).

I turned all three off. That stopped the hot water. I changed the washer. I turned all the taps back on. Bingo - tap worked perfectly.

Turned all taps that I had turned off back on.

Turned boiler electricity back on. Went to bed.

Next morning, no central heating, no hot water. Had a look at the boiler - it won't turn on. No pilot light.

Tried cleaning pilot light with vacuum cleaner. Tried re-lighting with a match.

The boiler is an old Glow Worm SpaceSaver 50. Their website doesn't have the manual anymore.

Instructions on the boiler just say to turn the dial (which is the only knob or button on the boiler) to the off position, leave 30 secs, then turn clockwise to the on position. Tried this, doesn't work.

So I'm completely lost! Am I doing something very simple wrong? Wondered whether there was an airlock in the pipes or something like that stopping the boiler. But all taps in kitchen and bathroom run OK.

Boiler seems v simple, no knobs apart from the one that appears to control the tempertaure on it. No ignition buttons etc - the few instructions on the boiler say that it is 'fully automatic'.

Phoned glowworm - they don't have the manual anymore, its not supported anymore

Any ideas? Thanks! Never knew changing a washer would be so problematic.

IG

Sponsored Links
As it is as you say such a simple boiler I do not think your changing a washer has had anything to do with your current problem, unless you have isolated the gas to it for some reason.

Did you turn the pilot out or has it just gone out?

Is this the 3 position knob on the gas valve?

If so you need to push it in slightly and turn it to the spark symbol, then push and hold it down whilst lighting the pilot, keep it held down for about 20 seconds then release it slowly.

Once pilot is established turn the knob to the flame symbol.

this is why you should pay a plumber £50 to change a washer !!! ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back