Changes To Loft Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having pretty much given up on the full loft conversion idea, I was wondering if making it into a much nicer and easier to access storage area would be technically legit?

Access would be via the loft hatch still, but I would add a couple of velux windows for proper lighting, nogins on the joists to strengthen it up and plasterboard it out to keep it clean. I think the other half is basically after a "walk in wardrobe" in the loft for easy assess to out of season clothes etc. How far could I go before somebody calls it "habitable", I have enough laminate spare to floor it for example!

Sponsored Links
We went throuugh a similar decision a few years back. I didn't plasterboard it but, I used the foil covered bubble wrap as a vapour barrier under the kingspan insulation between rafters - keeps it nice and clean, and cant be accused of being a room. I have power installed, for wireless router, TV signal amplifier, sky+ box (saves a lot of messing about). Boiler is now up there and we store all sorts of stuff- ski gear, wifes overflow wardrobe, etc. etc. Adding windows shouldn't really compromise the use, as the access is primary to it being "habitable"

As I understand it, for it to be 'habitable' the access would have to be via a proper staircase, being one that you can walk down forwards, rather than backwards as you would down a ladder. As that's what you're planning then there cannot be any question of it being considered habitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back