Subframe for boarding loft out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently the loft has been reinsulated (by the previous owners) and has planks spreading across joists to walk upon (which is squashing the insulation)
The plan is to completely board the loft out for storage only along with probably moving the access hatch as it's currently accessible only from step ladders (not having a built in ladder) and is facing towards one of the trusses (which isn't practical for storaging long boxes etc)
Moving the hatch is another project in itself but my main question is rather then just buying the joists up to board the loft out, I'm interested in creating a supported subframe to take some of the weight away from.the ceilings etc.
Has anyone any knowledge or tips how I would go about doing this?

I take it supporting it from the gable ends are relatively easy with joist hangers but without drilling or adding to the truss apex's (unsure of the correct terminology) supporting the middle bits, I'm stuck.

Must add this is for loft storage only and not for a loft conversion. I think everyone adds too much weight in loft spaces so rather then saying for empty things with no weight, we get complacent and put bulky items up (Christmas decorations/tree)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back