Loft access problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice would be greatly appreciated for an issue I have for ease of access to loft.

Have 1929 property with large loft. Recently had it re-isulated and I have since boarded half for storage. Problem is the access hatch is quite small and ceiling is 2.7m high, so not easy to access without good ladder (which is in garage, so not convenient).

Thought about installing a loft ladder, but cannot think how that can work, without costing a futune, due to heiight of hatch & size of hatch (and location, which is in bathroom.

I was going to move into hallway, but the ceiling joists seemed all over the place, in the loaction I had thought about.

The size of hatch is 63cm long x 53cm wide (or size betwen the joists is 68 x 57). Old place I put is cheap loft ladder but that laid on the floor in the loft and was pulled out then down, which is not possible as the roof is about 40cm from your face as you enter the loft, with all the space behind you.

Any thoughts on how can build my own loft ladder system or buy one that might fit etc?

Many thanks

(I can provide some plans if helpful)

Sponsored Links
You can get pre-fab accesses for about £30, and then just build a frame for it.

To make the frame for your new access you need to chop a joist and then support it with the new pieces you're putting in for your frame (the picture will make more sense).

You'll need some 4" nails and a good, short saw for sawing the joist up. I used a floorboard saw from screwfix which did the job rather well.

View media item 29607 View media item 29606

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back