Can this loft hatch be moved or made bigger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ceiling joists are 30cm apart, the current hatch is 40cm x 60cm.

I would like to fit a Keylite loft ladder but the smallest size they do is 60x 1200.

So would it be wise to move the hatch?

dPNR5b.md.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looking at that picture, you have an ideal opportunity now to not only fit the loft ladder where you want it, but choose the one that is best for you and not just the smallest.

Looking at that picture, you have an ideal opportunity now to not only fit the loft ladder where you want it, but choose the one that is best for you and not just the smallest.

Can I do the following. I am just worried I may weaken the ceiling joists as I want to put up floor legs and use the attic for light storage.

Move the loft hatch to the new opening where joist 2 will be cut. Before joist 2 is cut I need to close the current loft hatch. How many braces should I be looking to put in (orange lines).

dPUDoG.md.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can pretty much do what you like given the state of the building. As said, you can fit almost any size, anywhere.
Have a good think about where the hatch would be best, allowing for a decent hatch, ladder and headroom.
You just need to ensure that any cut joists are strengthened across the cut and made secure.
In your case it's easy because of no ceiling.

If you're going to board the loft out, consider getting some of the insulation and materials up there before plasterboarding the ceiling. May be a lot easier.

You can pretty much do what you like given the state of the building. As said, you can fit almost any size, anywhere.
Have a good think about where the hatch would be best, allowing for a decent hatch, ladder and headroom.
You just need to ensure that any cut joists are strengthened across the cut and made secure.
In your case it's easy because of no ceiling.

If you're going to board the loft out, consider getting some of the insulation and materials up there before plasterboarding the ceiling. May be a lot easier.

The space between the ceiling joists is 30cm so I assume the widest loft ladder I can add is 60cm.

My next question is when is the best time to do add loft legs? Now before the ceiling is boarded up ? would having the loft legs up make it hard to lay the insulation?

Whats the order?

1) Board ceilings 2) loft legs 3) insulation or

1) loft legs 2) board ceiling 3) insulation

The original plan was to overboard the ceilings but they were bowing in some places and when they went up to remove the old loft insulation it came with a tonne of black plaster so thought it better to just clear it all out.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back