Loft converion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have come here for some advice or assurance. I am looking at purchasing a house and I have seen one that I really like. As I checked the loft I noticed it has been converted for storage. The loft has no stairs just a ladder. It is a 1950 built house and the loft type is where is has got two 9 x 4 purlins running either side of the loft with the rafter's resting on these. I noticed when I opened the hatch that the floor joists was only 3 x 2 and has been boarded straight onto these, under the purlins are dwaft walls with access for storage. What I want to know to be safe is are the floor joist ok for light storage, the owner says it was done 6 years ago and it seems ok, there are no problems, no cracking ceiling or bowing joists ?

Sponsored Links
What I want to know to be safe is are the floor joist ok for light storage, the owner says it was done 6 years ago and it seems ok, there are no problems, no cracking ceiling or bowing joists ?
For light storage only. For clarity a conversion will require additional structure.

Sponsored Links
There is no problem, I am happy with answers now. Just that I read that 3 x 2 joists would not stand much weigh if not any on alot of topics. I am happy its ok but just like piece of mind before purchasing the most expensive thing in my life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back