Loft floor help please - (picture link)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently raising and the strengthening my loft floor joists and have done a third of the loft but in doing it thought of a easier and better way but would like anyones advice. My loft is a typical 1950 house which has 2 9 x 4 purlins running across with rafters on these and a 9 x 2 purlin in the floor running from wall to wall. The joists are 3 x 2. The method I used was to glue and screw 4 x 2 onto of my existing joist and sitting them on walls underneath. I was going to then screw 2 x 2 onto of the joists at right angles then to strengthen even further and make the floor level to the 9 x 2 purlin in the floor midspan then board. Would it of been better to just fix 7 x 2 onto the 3 x 2 original joist at right angles and fixing into the purlin and the house dividing wall ?

Picture attached

http://imageshack.us/f/41/9m17.jpg/

Sponsored Links
God only knows why you've done all that. Just screw some 6x2s onto the top of your existing joists perpendicular to them and board on top. End of. Even then it will still only be good for light storage but at least you can whack 3 layers of insulation in the void.

Read a recent topic on this site of someone asking for advice and my situation was more or less the same so followed suit. But on doing it is a very slow task doing tit this way. Now that I have done this section this way, to finish this section of the loft off would screwing 2 x 2 or 3 x 2 at right angles and screwing into the 9 x 2 perlins and bedding the ends in the wall and cementing then in. Then screwing threw into every joist , would this make this section stronger and then at least it has a purpose and I can store the heaviest items in this section. And bearing in mind I still need to raise this section anyway 2 inch ?

Unless you get an engineers solution then using the loft for storing anything other than light storage is unwise.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone tell me if going across these joist now with 2 x 2 at 90 degrees and fixing to the 9 x 4 beam in floor and the wall then screwing into each joist will strengthen the floor further ?

Thanks

Just been in touch with my local council and spoke to a BCO and he is basically saying if its for light storage then just go ahead and do it without a BCO and there shouldnt be any prob when coming to sell. Now need just a little bit of input of anyone please ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back