DIY loft - purlins supporting floor (Edited: Loft Conversion)

No we're going to keep it and rent it out when we move.

I just want to know if the method used is something that is acceptable, providing the calculations stack up and building control are happy.

If you have calculations and Building Control approval it is OK.

A conversion without approval, however, would reduce the value of the house.

Sponsored Links
I can see it working quite easily with the correct attention to detailing! but alas it no longer matters if it simply works in the modern world...

Just remember a certain submariner looking at a Belfast built boat that was unsinkable via his craft that was freeing the entrepreneur from the pointless shackles off regulation slowing down his business ---- his business has now collapsed literally to near zero thickness as he knew better ???

The problem is some people do know better, its called experience and being on site, because its not being done by the book doesn't mean it can't work. I bet Grenfell had all the right paperwork!

Sponsored Links
As said, unapproved loft conversions are bad news. I would have removed a bit of ceiling along the outside walls and spanned the new joists onto the wall plates - just size via a span table and BC would be happy (with that aspect at least).

Purlins, typically (ie about 99% of the time) are supported from beneath and hold up the rafters. They do not typically have the capacity to provide support for a floor. So you're right, probably about 1% of the time they can be used to suspend a floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back