Removing hangers in loft??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I have just installed a new floor in my loft with thicker beams. The new floor does not touch the existing ceiling joists/roof binders its above it. Unfortunately I have 3 hangers running from the purlins to the roof binders like the images shown below (2 on front binder 1 on rear). I don't really want to board round them. They are nailed to the purlins with large nails.

My loft is similar to the image below, except the hangers are nailed to the purlins and the roof joists.

The ceiling joists only take the weight of the ceiling nothing else.

Can I remove them? They cannot be major structural supports they are too weedy. I'm assuming they are there to stop the ceiling sagging in the bedrooms. I could attach the ceiling binders to my new joists prior to removal. The room spans are approx 3m x 2.5m

Thanks in advance

Garry

Sponsored Links
Why not post pics of your loft with the new joist arrangement?

If i understand you right, what you are proposing will not work, it would give you future difficulties.

You wouldn't have any structural issues if you removed the hangers, though your ceiling may deflect noticeably.

You say you would fix the binders to your new 'floor' joists, but what is supporting these new joists? Depending on how the new joists are supported, your idea may or may not work.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back