I don't know what to do next

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in need of some practical advice, my house is a 1930's three bed semi.

The rafters sit on wall plates on the outside walls, 2' up from the wall the ceiling joists are connected so that the ceiling, which is lathe and plaster is fixed to the joists and then the underside of the rafters for the last 2'.

I have a supporting wall right through the middle of the house and the 4" x 2" joists sit on this wall. There are 9" x 3" purlins set in the side walls 18" above the joists. The ridge board is only 6'2" above the joist level, I would like to use this space for storage.

The only part of the floor that would really be walked on is 2' either side of the supporting wall. The confusion is arising from the fact that, all the posts I've read say if I want to walk in the loft I have to change the joists, because the joists do not sit on the wall plates, do I have to change the rafters as well.

I have seen on one site, a roof similar to mine where, the joists had 2" x 2" attached to the top, between the purlins and then hung from the purlins with 2" x 2" straps, this was done by a civil engineering company.

Will I need to fit a binder to the joists below the purlin, and could this binder be strapped to the purlin, say every 2 joists or does the binder need attaching to the outside and party walls. Any help please!!!
Cheers,
Colin

Sponsored Links
Small tip if I may.
Re-edit your post so it is more readable.

don't think any one would take the time now to try to read your whole ongoing, without any double hard returns, epistle.
(I haven't)

no, you still only have one paragraph break in the whole thing.

Divide it up more.

Like this.

Makes it easier to follow.

See how difficult it is to read this single paragraph:

To tell the truth he was mean in fortunes and for the most part hankered about the coffeehouses and low taverns with crimps, ostlers, bookies, Paul's men, runners, flatcaps, waistcoateers, ladies of the bagnio and other rogues of the game or with a chanceable catchpole or a tipstaff often at nights till broad day of whom he picked up between his sackpossets much loose gossip. He took his ordinary at a boilingcook's and if he had but gotten into him a mess of broken victuals or a platter of tripes with a bare tester in his purse he could always bring himself off with his tongue, some randy quip he had from a punk or whatnot that every mother's son of them would burst their sides.

At Karin's request I have reduced to paragraph to a mere two sentences. :(

Sponsored Links
John D, you've made your point.

Think you better remove your example or shorten it a bit!

Einfield, much better this way, sorry I don't have any advice to offer you on this. Sure others will help out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back