New loft floor - query re purlin supports and binders

D E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm planning to put a floor down in my loft running 2 x 6's from external wall to spine wall (span 3.2m) laid between existing ceiling joists.
The floor is to take the weight of 2 or 3 plan chests of drawings, lots of paintings and some sculptures. 2 Velux are being installed for daylight for sorting drawings etc.
The space will be a warm loft insulated with SuperQuilt. It's important that the space is clean.

My problem is that there are 2 of what I think are binders (2 x 4) that the purlin supports connect to. One sits over the ceiling joists above the spine wall the other is 93 cm to center away and runs the same length but mostly over the ceiling joists above the bedroom below apart from 1.3 over a wall that creates a return at the top of the stairs and is the wall to the bathroom.

(thought in process while writing) If these are indeed binders, would it be structurally okay to fix the binder by screwing it on either side of the purlin supports to the ceiling joist below and to remove the sections between to run my new joists clear to the spine wall?

As this is a storage space I don't want to mess with the structure if at all possible. Can anyone offer a different / better solution as to how I can bridge the binders so that the new 2 x 6 joists run from the external wall to the spine wall without compromising either the binders or the new 2 x 6's by notching? I only want to board half the loft to this level of finish. The front half will be partitioned off with a stud wall and door to close off for general household storage - Suitcases, chrimbo decs, old toys etc.

I've attached some photos to help explain.

Any advise or knowledge would be most welcome.
fullsizeoutput_1f03.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1ef5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1efb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1efd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1eff.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1f03.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1f03.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 273
  • fullsizeoutput_1ef5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1ef5.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 174
  • fullsizeoutput_1efb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1efb.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 308
  • fullsizeoutput_1efd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1efd.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 189
  • fullsizeoutput_1eff.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1eff.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 190
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back