Changing 1 gang switch to 2 gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a light on a one gang, one way switch which controls 5 halogen spots in the ceiling. I would like to add a wall light which can be independently controlled from a new two gang switch.

Let's assume I am OK with running cable through the stud wall and fitting the wall light, my concern is how to wire up the new two gang switch (not purchased it yet).

The existing one gang switch it is wired up like this:

L1: 3 x red wires
L2: 1 x brown and 1 x yellow wire
L3: empty

Also 2 x black and 2 x blue wires connected in a terminal block.

(See picture below).

Please can someone guide me as to how I should connect the wires that will power the new wall light?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Assuming you haven't run a new cable between the switch and the wall light;

Put all the reds into any of the two common terminals of the new switch. Ensure there is a short length of red or brown wire linking both of these common terminals.

Put the existing brown and yellow in one of the L1 terminals.

Put the new brown in the remaining L1.

Connect the new blue to the neutral block (the block with the existing blue and black wires).

Connect earth to the earth terminals. If switch is metal ensure faceplate is properly earthed.

At the light;
Brown is live
Blue is neutral
Earth is earth.

That existing metal faceplate is not earthed.

You need an earth wire linking the faceplate to the back box, where the other earth wires are.

Or, connect all the earth wires to the metal faceplate, with a link from the faceplate to the back box.

Either way, make sure every wire gets securely connected, as they can slip out.

Hi sparkwright

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. I will wire this up as you described and figure out how to earth the wall plate at the same time.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
figure out how to earth the wall plate at the same time.

By a wire link from the back box to the Earth terminal on the face plate is the usual way to do it
Assuming you have earth sleeving, then you can use an offcut of the wire you purchased for the walllight

Then again that box earth looks a bit crammed to get 2 more in

So I have just bought a 2 gang switch and it has a pair of L2 terminals also.

Can I simply pretend they aren't there and wire up as per sparkwright's post using only the COM and L1?

Thanks

Can I simply pretend they aren't there and wire up as per sparkwright's post using only the COM and L1?
screenshot_195.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back