Changing a light bulb on a Ducal Welsh Dresser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help me please. The light on our Ducal Welsh Dresser has stopped working so I would like to replace it but am unsure how to access it.

The power comes from a transformer that is then fed through the top of the dresser and the bulb and cover are in a recess in the top of the dresser.

Attached are some photos.

Photo 1: Have tied gently levering the circular surround from underneath but it doesn't seem like it wants to be removed.
Photo 2: Also tried gently levering the plastic clip where the wires feed through the top but again seems to be fixed firm.

Appreciate any help, please.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Dresser Light 1.jpg
    Dresser Light 1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 476
  • Dresser Light 2.jpg
    Dresser Light 2.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 484
Sponsored Links
It may be glued in.

From above, a large screwdriver on the middle and a sharp tap from a mallet may dislodge it.

It may also splinter the wood. Can't be sure, it might just be because if the light and/or camera angle, but to me this little lug (presumably there's a third one we can't see)

upload_2018-11-16_11-0-56.png

looks like it might be at an angle so that when the light is turned clockwise (from below) it bites into the wood.

Have tied gently levering the circular surround from underneath but it doesn't seem like it wants to be removed.
Have you tried twisting the light anti-clockwise?

I have something similar in some wall units.

I am looking at some spare ones as I type.

The chrome ring around the lamp, inside the cabinet, is fixed to the inside of the cabinet top with two small screws, and the inner part, with the bulb and glass, pushes into it and is retained with two metal barbs of pressed steel that spring out.

On mine, the part with the LEDs does not seem to dismantle for replacement of LEDs

I can't see how to remove it non-destructively, unless, from above, you can see the screw holes and drill the screws out.

You could perhaps slip a blade under the edge of the ring and force it off, ripping the screws out.

Yours might be different. Mine have labels "Saxby lighting" on some of the parts.

Sponsored Links
Or it could be just an interference fit.

Rather than "From above, a large screwdriver on the middle and a sharp tap from a mallet may dislodge it" you could try a small cold chisel, or a punch or a drift from above, but right at the edge, and gentle taps with a hammer to see if the light starts to move downwards at that point without damaging the wood. If it does, move around the cirumference, gradually tapping it out.

And I've just thought:

Before you do anything, have a replacement light ready, as it's going to have to be the right size, whatever that is, and it's better to have no lighting but with something filling the hole for a while, than no lighting and nothing filling it until you find a replacement.

Wow, thanks everyone for such quick replies and for the suggestions.

The chrome ring (from the underside) seems to be held firm and I have not been able to twist or turn it. I have tried to lever it gently, but there is no movement at all.

There are 3 metal tabs in the recess above, so I think I will try to bend these back first, then try the screwdriver and mallet suggestion.

The unit is at least 25 years old so I assume the light fitting is not LED, but hopefully it will be a replaceable bulb.

I will let you know how it goes.

Much appreciated.

I have managed to remove the complete fitting by bending back the 3 tabs and tapping gently from above with a hammer and small piece of wood.

Once out, I could see that in fact, the plastic outer ring (photo 1) was removable as it was clipped in, however, access to prising this out would have been very difficult. There were then 3 tiny screws revealed after removing the outer ring, which were holding the light in place. No damage done though as the screw heads just popped through the aluminium light casing and I can probably re-use them or get slightly larger screws if necessary.

It's a very small bulb so all I need to do now is try and find a replacement from somewhere!

Many thanks again to all replies.

It's actually just 2 straight prongs. It looks like the same as a G4 although the gap between the pins is less and the pins are shorter. Not sure if that is still a G4. It is marked as OSRAM 64415 which suggests on Google it's a G4. I will take a trip to the local lighting shop to try and match the bulb.

Thanks AP77, helped me a lot. The plastic cover surround (photo 1) is fiddly to remove but gently prise it then it pops off to reveal the bulb. The bulb is a G4 10 watt 12v. They do low voltage halogen which works a treat.

If you can find an LED bulb to fit, it will have a very much longer life.

It may be worth paying the extra for a Phillips or Osram, as quality varies.

How heavy is the transformer, if it's a wire wound (heavy) likely you can use LED, if electronic (lighter) then very likely the LED will not use enough power, as they often have a minimum output.

PS not normally a good idea to post on a 3 year old thread.

If you can find an LED bulb to fit, it will have a very much longer life. .... It may be worth paying the extra for a Phillips or Osram, as quality varies.
Quality certainly varies but, for what it's worth, my personal experience is that price/brand is a very poor guide - some of my worst experiences of LEDs have been with expensive 'big brand' ones, and some of my best experiences with unbranded 'cheap and nasty' ones:)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back