Changing a PRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some thinking I'm going to change a leaking PRV on my Ravenheat LS80 Silver star combi boiler.
I'm no plumber but have a fairly good knowledge of the boiler and system it supplies and am not a technophobe!
I've found a replacement valve for just under £10
According to the instructions you simply drain the boiler, shut the water supply off to it then remove the old valve and fit the new one, refill the boiler and job done.
This seems to easy or is it not that simple.
Something keeps telling me its one of those two minute jobs that takes two hours!

This is the PRV in question...thanks for your help

SAFETYRELIEFVALVE5015010.jpg

Sponsored Links
Exactly as you said . Shut flow and return valves on the boiler . Drain boiler and fit your new valve . Done . 20 mins tops .

Why bother?, close the auto air vent and open the existing prv til it stops then swap em over. Close isolation valves at your peril.

What a good idea!!!
But can I ask why I need to be cautious of the isolation valves??
Are they not guaranteed to stop?

Sponsored Links
make sure that the new PRV is rated (bar) the same as the exisiting ('usually' 3bar). CHECK!

Mr Lil said:
What a good idea!!!
But can I ask why I need to be cautious of the isolation valves??
Are they not guaranteed to stop?
No they just **** out from the wrong place as soon as you touch them.

By the way as Ollski says, but find a spanner that fits the black plastic hex then undo the old one and put the new one in the old brass housing having cleaned the seat obviously.

Might take you 5 minutes if you have a drink of tea half way through :D

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back