Changing a thermostat to digital - help needed on wiring!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey. New to this so hopefully someone can help. I've looked at the wiki but it doesnt answer my question.

I'm replacing a dial room thermostat with a digital one and not sure on the wiring. The old dial thermostat has a blue wire to COM which I think is satisfied, a brown wire to H which I think is demand, a blue wire to TL which I think is common and a brown wire to N which I think is neutral. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But the new digital thermostat has N1 Load, L1 load, N AC in and L AC in. Not sure what goes to where so any help would be great!

Also, need to connect the sensor to the new digital thermostat. The wire I've been given is massive - I assume I can cut it down? And secondly, for a room thermostat, where would I store the sensor? Just in the wall behind the unit?

Looking forward to the flood of responses!! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old thermostat is a potterton prt2. New thermostat is a BYC01. Not sure anymore than that as bought online.

I'm afraid you have bought the wrong sort.

What you have is for under-floor heating.
The sensor is for burying in the floor.

Sponsored Links
In the main the old room thermostat had a neutral connected to reduce the difference between on and off although often not used and the new digital often does not need the neutral but has a battery. There are some models without battery which do need a neutral but in the main we go from three wire to two wire when fitting a digital.

In the main neutral is either blue or black with line wires brown or red but you seem to think your neutral is brown which rings alarm bells.

I would advise since there seems to be some errors you get some one you can test to replace the thermostat as it would seem from what you have said something is incorrectly wired.

I do not know this thermostat but from a very brief look at the manual it would seem that:

You can program the stat to just respond to air (room) temperature so no sensor needed to be connected

The N in and N load terminals are just a handy hardwired link in the stat, so (as stated above) neutral is not required at the stat at all.

The only functional terminals are just therefore live in and switched live out (call for heat).

Thanks. It's just the air temp I need it to respond to. So no need for sensor you say.

What wires from the above would be my live ac and what my live load?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back