Changing a UPVC double glazed unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to measure my current sealed unit so that I can order a replacement one.

I have taken the 4 beading trims off but the sealed unit is stuck to the inside of the frame with the original black sticky tape. So I can only measure the width and height of the sealed unit, not the depth.
IMG-20181024-01717.jpg
IMG-20181024-01716.jpg

I am unable to free the unit even when using a wooden lever which I will post pictures of.

I do not want to risk breaking the glass until I have the replacement unit. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
It is externally beaded so I would need to cut the tape from the inside, I was concerned that I might damage the frame when using a Stanley knife between the glass and frame but may have to give it a go.

Sharp blade, push it into the foam tape and drag along while twisting the knife itself in such a way to keep the blade away from the PVC however small nicks won't hurt, you will need to replace the tape for new when you replace the unit, comes from 1mm right up to 6mm so measure first and buy a roll

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, I wonder if one of those flexible blades that you can snap off when they get blunt would be better than a rigid Stanley blade?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back