Changing an old toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to change my old toilet. But the pipework and fittings are very old (1960s?) and im a little concerned about a new toilet not having the same design. The pics below show the different parts:

As you can see its such a miserable place in which to take a dump at the moment. I want to paint over or remove all the black tiles aswell and put a new waterproof floor down.

The toilet bowl waste pipe goes to the left from the rear then connects to the soil pipe which exits through the wall. Can anyone advise if most new toilets would fit in this location? Would i need to change any of the inlet or overflow pipes? Any advice appreciated.

cheers

Sponsored Links
inlet pipe would need shortening and repositioned above the stopcock

overflow won't exist anymore.

soil pipe can be cut and a new pan connector added.
the soil pipe may be out a bit to far from the wall so may need a false wall built out a few inches to bring the cister inline with the soil pipe.

not a hard job pretty straight foreward.
36_1_11.gif

Depending on how confident you are, turn the stop tap off, flush toilet, disconnect cold feed, pull out toilet and cistern, put a rag in soil. Now do floor and wall. You wont get the same design toilet (not to my knowledge) so you will have to use a 90 degree multikwik (probably have to saw soil pipe) then alter cold feed to suit new toilet. Most toilets now have an internal overflow so you wont have to worry about that :LOL: .

B*gger i'll have to type quicker :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
^^Very posh, dont think id get the hang of that one though, up against the wall like that :)

I'd say im fairly confident i can get the old toilet off along with the cistern. My concern is will i need to raise the new toilet or perhaps encounter problems connecting it to the soil pipe. You may be able to tell from the first pic that the soil pipe is not level. Does a multikwik rotate?

Can anyone provide a link of the pan connector mentioned or what type of fitting i should ask for? How are new toilets usually connected to the soil pipe - what type of fitting is it? (any pics or products)

Also would it be necessary to saw the soil pipe off, could i not remove the bowl just be pulling it out after removing the floor bolts? Although i suppose sawing it maybe easier, i can imagine it must be stuck on very tight.

cheers

imagesjbb.jpg

this is just one type of pan connector.

angle grind the soil pipe just before that ugly joint in the soil pipe. then slip the pan connector into soil pipe.
need to know some height measurements of the soil pipe so it lines up with new pan.
and also may only be a 3 1/2" internal diameter or a 4"

and also get the pan in the middle as it looks offset to me.
23_33_10.gif

Have i got the right one here to connect a new pan? The one in the middle.

If i were to saw the end off the old soil pipe, would this one then attach on to it? Oh and would i need any putty or something to make the joint more secure against leaks? Just checking at the moment i havent bought any parts yet.

Also can anyone recommend a particular brand or even type of modern toilet to go for? cheers

pan connectors push inside the cast pipe and slide on the back of pan, but no putty etc is needed.

but as i say you'll need to do some measuring as looking at you pic your soil pipe is to far foreward so if you connected a close couple pan/cistern the cistern would sit away from the wall.

thats why i said you'll need a false wall made from stud/plasterboard.

then measure where your pipe is to be cut.

thats why i suggested a wall hung or a back to wall pan it will also hide that ugly soil pipe.

ii.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back