Changing fire on baxi Bermuda 401

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old baxi Bermuda 401 back boiler which works great so I'm not bothered about changing to a combi boiler. However it obviously has a hideous fire front on it which I've been looking at every day for 7 years and I've had enough! Phoned baxi to ask which fires were compatible as from doing some research online I was thinking my only option would be another outset gas fire, which although not ideal I can probably find one which is nicer than the one I have. However the man I spoke to told me that my boiler would be compatible with an electric fire... specifically the valor dimension classica or dream. He said these fires just sit in front of the back boiler on the wall and are held on by magnets. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct or not as whenever I've looked into it in the past it has seemed clear that I need to have a specific gas fire to go with my back boiler to ensure correct ventilation. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely NOT.

The 401 is designed as a gas boiler and gas fire combo and must not be used without the correct fire in place.
Are you sure you spoke to BaXi?
The electric fires were used in front of the much later condensing back boilers and are now discontinued.
You cannot buy a new fire for your boiler - you would have to buy second hand- but it has to be one tomorrow a specific range, which contains no more than 6 old designs.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it was baxi I spoke to and they put me through to their technical department. I told them it was an old back boiler, gave them the model number and even asked if he was sure the electric fire would definitely be suitable! Sorry yes I didn't mean a new fire, i realise they're discontinued so am looking to source a suitable one second hand. I know there isn't much choice but hoped I might find one slightly better looking than the one I've got!

Sponsored Links
They were called baxi renewal,with different fire fronts to chose from,was a great way to improve the visual aspect,even had fires with living flames behind glass. Dont think they have been made for many years now.

Very good fires,thou. edit except for the c2 iirc

There will be second hand fires/boilers advertised now and again but getting someone to fit it will be a big ask.

Maybe a new external case will tidy it up.ebay etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever the tech was he obviously hasn't got a clue!
Thanks, yes I've been looking at the SP3 and it appears to be compatible. I have the C5 just now :sick:

SP3 thats the one with living flames behind glass,in its day it was top of the range.

Maybe a pre loved unit available but needs an expert to fit it as they came with a (kit) variety of parts to fit baxi back boilers 4 series to 5 series.

Feeling old now,

There possibly getting mixed up or not explaining properly, the new Baxi backboiler (a room sealed condensing boiler) uses electric fire fronts that stick on over the back boiler, the 401 must have only the correct fire fitted, and there arnt many options, any of which used to be extortionately expensive and probably still are if there even still available

SP,RG,VP,
I think you can use VP or SP firefronts but your Gas Safe fitter would advise you.

http://www.gas-fire.gb.com/bermlf.htm
(not sure how up to date the website is)

Out of date? Just a bit. When they stopped being available, we were selling them for the best part of a grand. Plus fitting. Eventually we stopped wuoting as most folk were better off with a new boiler.

IIRC, the C5 fire fronts for the Back Boilers were for the 45/4 and 57/4 range onwards (circa 1995/6 onwards ranges), so it is likely the fire-front has already been 'upgraded' once.

to repeat, the two appliances are only designed to work as a pair. While I agree that keeping an existing boiler working safely is laudable, the 401 range is of advanced years and spares for the boiler unit will become harder to source.

IIRC, the C5 fire fronts for the Back Boilers were for the 45/4 and 57/4 range onwards (circa 1995/6 onwards ranges), so it is likely the fire-front has already been 'upgraded' once.

to repeat, the two appliances are only designed to work as a pair. While I agree that keeping an existing boiler working safely is laudable, the 401 range is of advanced years and spares for the boiler unit will become harder to source.

Which is fair enough, DN. But the chances of needing parts are relatively slim.

Having said that, if you are doing major decs or renovations in a house, it is probably worth biting the bullet and changing it, simply due to the level of disruption commonly incurred

I'm aware this is an old post but my elderly father has a similar problem. He has a Baxi fire back boiler which is still fine but the gas fire is starting to be less efficient in it's heat output. It was serviced 2 months ago & it was fine but he's noticed less heat coming from the radiants in the last few days. My question is - if he stopped using the gas fire before it broke and left it in-situ but got a small, free standing electric fire placed in another area of the room, would the boiler be compromised? At 86 he wants to avoid the cost and mess of removing & replacing a perfectly working back boiler to replace it with a new combi boiler & fire, just because the fire is probably coming to the end of it's life. Thanks for any advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back