Changing from Calor to Electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, at the moment, the heating is fueled by LPG Calor Gas. They charge 50p per litre.I used an online website, and this works out to be 23p per KWH.

My electric is with Scottish Power, and they charge 12p per KWH, so you can see there is a massive price difference.

MY calor gas gets filled about 3 times a year at a cost of almost a £1k per fill, so last year £3k went out for Calor, which provides hot water and central heating.

Now, I want to go away from Calor totally, and swap it all to electric. Hot water wise, this would be easy, as the cylinders we have (2) also have electric elements in them so switching to electric would be easy to plumb up, so not much cost there.

But what boiler is out there that would power 25 rads at 2kw each, so 50 kws in total and is electric???? Does such a thing even exist??

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
so 50 kw of heating for 3 grand?
whats your problem?
Maybe youve calculated your rads wrong.
Does your existing boiler heat your house ok?
If so what is the boiler output, 50kw?
If so thats a big place, presuming its 3 floor / 5 bedroom etc
If so thats no house to heat with electric.

If you wish to ditch the LPG for electric, then air to air heat pumps would well be worth while looking at for space heating.... In the worst case senario your performance ratio would fall to 2kW out for 1kW in but would most of the time would run at 4 to 1 for decent quality units and you get air conditioning free.

I'd be inclined to double check your calculations though...

Sponsored Links
Cheers all.

Its actually my GF's parents house.

It used to be an old hotel, with 6 on suites, all with two 2kws rads, then large reception room, dining rooms, kitchen, then on the bottom floor, 4 more bathrooms, a family room, another room, an office, an utility room and some other small rooms, so going by current rad sizes i guess 50kws are required.

It looks like I might keep the heating the way it is, but have hot water powered by electric. The house might be very large (over 4 floors), but when we are all down, the hot water demand would only have to cover for 6 people, and never all at once.

when you say 2kW rads, are you looking just at the size? Unless they are at max heat all the time, with no TRVs and the windows open to let the heat out, actual energy usage will not be so much.

I hope they have spent some of their money on insualtion and draughtproofing

I think you should do a heat loss calc and see what the demand really is.

BTW if your calculations are correct, you will need about 220 Amps of electricity just for the heating. Have you got an industrial 3-phase supply? Or lots of money for an upgrade?

As off-peak electricity is about half the price of single-rate, it might be worthwhile spending a fortune on some kind of huge heat store. A concrete floor slab will hold quite a lot of heat and gradually release it, but this can be tiresome if you have a mixture of hot and cold days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back