Heating options for house with no mains gas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I live in out in the country and have no gas supply.
We currently heat selected rooms with oil filled electric radiators.
What options do i have to provide a better heating solution to the house?

I was going to go down the route of wood/log burner with back boiler to feed radiators in throughout the house, i hear this is not ideal as the water temperature gets extremely hot and is hard to control.

What other options do i have open to me?

I would rather not go for installing a calor gas tank outside, due to prices always ever increasing, but if this is my only option, i will start to investigate that option more.

By the way, i would have a fairly decent supply of wood so this would be economical for me.

Many thanks for the input.
Stuart

Sponsored Links
apart from rather "inventive" systems installed by oddballs, there are decent oil, lpg, solid fuel boilers, and solar, wind combinations.
Whatever you choose, apart from solar, rest assured the price of the fuel will go up. In times of high demand the source price will go up and when demand is lower, the tax will be raised.

Forget about the back boilers, apart from being outdated they also have the problem of an overall efficiency of below 50%

Sponsored Links
For a start you can install a good size stand alone wood stove in the living room. Like 6-12 kW depending on the size of house.

That will provide good background heating and take the main price cost off the electric heating.

Be aware that wood heating needs about 30-40 minutes work on the fuel per day.

Most working people prefer an expensive heat source which is just switched on.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back