central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a back boiler behind gas fire as my heating source. I would like to install a log burner where the gas fire is. I still want gas as my main heating source mind. Would it be possible to move back boiler as I take it you can't just fit log burner next to it. Or am I better off installing a whole new heating system along with log burner. Obviously this option would prove costly but may prove saving on long run.

Sponsored Links
Unless you really can't live with your gas fire (some are very 70s), I would stick with what you've got. You will have to spend a lot for a small payback that may or may not materialise.

There 's the cost of installing a heat only boiler in another location, system and control mods, installing the wood burner, then you need to buy, store and cut logs - surprisingly labour intensive. Then the aggro of building fires, feeding them, cleaning stove and regular sweeps.

Do you use the gas fire much? If not, will be lots of upheaval and cost for almost nothing.

Thanks. I thought it would be a costly job. I was thinking of installing a combi boiler in time and suppose that would be correct time to do all the work. Would like log burner as feature in the room in time. Is the government's Green deal worth a look at?

Thanks. I thought it would be a costly job. I was thinking of installing a combi boiler in time and suppose that would be correct time to do all the work. Would like log burner as feature in the room in time. Is the government's Green deal worth a look at?

Keep the back boiler and fire. Buy a nice dvd of a real fire.
You'll thank me later.

Sponsored Links
Strangely enough my father in law said something very similar. Thought he was just against change. Doubt I will buy the dvd though but thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back