Changing from Halogen to LED bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all thank you very much for you help in the past.

This problem involves a en-suite shower room in a 16 year old house ... we have only had the house for 2 years. At some point 3 modern flush fitting MR16 halogen lights were fitted and a forth one in the centre of the ventilation fan.

Having just given the room a once over I decided to change the 4 x 50w halogen bulbs for 4 x 5w LED in Warm White. None of the original bulbs were in the holders at the time.

Each time I fitted a LED bulb I turned the light switch on to test it. When fitting the last bulb that happened to be in one of the ceiling lights as opposed to the extractor fan and turning the light switch on all four lit momentarily then all four went off and stayed off. Turning the light switch off and back on again would just repeat the same thing ... on for a split second then off ... I assumed the last bulb was faulty ... I removed it from the ceiling light and fitted it in the fan ... the same thing happened ... changed the bulb at the store for a new one and tried again ... exactly the same ... I tried various permutations to rule out a faulty light fitting. Returned to the store and changed the bulb again, tried it again with the same results.

With three LED's and one halogen in the fan they work perfectly.

I can see on the ceiling where the original single light fitting was and if the main bathroom is anything to go by it would have been a standard light fitting when the house was new.

The 1mm or 1.5mm FT&E coming to each new light fitting looks perfect.

I haven't checked if when the four shower room lights go out on fitting the fourth bulb any other upstairs lights go out, or if everything on that circuit goes out. It just seems as though the excitement of having four LED's is too much for it.

I'd be grateful of any help ... presumably I haven't had three faulty bulbs on the trot.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Are these 12V or 240V? If they are 12V and run off a switch mode power supply it will be because the switch mode power supply is not designed to drive LEDs. Either change it for an LED driver, or remove it altogether and get 240V LEDs.

Sponsored Links
Back