Changing light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1269.JPG 3e51f7bd-30fa-4b82-a459-902114abfab8.JPG Hello, during these troubled times I have found time to strip and paper hall, stairs and landing and decided to change plugs and sockets also.

However, I'm now left with one switch to change and require assistance I have 4 wires and only 3 contacts to receive them, excluding earth. Obviously i'm going to have to put 2 wires into 1 receiver but i'm nervous in case I get this wrong.

For information this is a single gang 3 way switch. Please see photos of current wiring and also back of proposed new switch. Can anyone please help?

Sponsored Links
You have the wrong type of switch. Existing is an intermediate switch ,new one is a two way.
The blue wire connected to the switches earth terminal is a bit odd, what does the other end of it connect to ?

Having thought about this I've managed to do it. The 2 red ones go into the com and the blacks go into the L1 and L2 and the blue is the earth. Tried it and it works.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it works as before. The nice thing was I worked out what needed doing before I tried it so it wasn't trial and error

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back