3 way switch - remove the 3rd!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve just registered having found lots of useful information on here. Hopefully someone can help me!

My landing light can be controlled by 3 switches (from the hall and 2 on the landing). The hall and ‘main’ landing switches are 3 and 2 gang respectively and the 3rd is a single intermediated switch. I’m replacing the 3 and 2 gang with lightwave smart switches and need some advice as to how best reinvent the intermediated switch? From looking at wiring diagrams it should be ‘in the middle’ of the whole circuit so I’m guessing joining wires with wago’s or similar may be the way to go but I’m hoping there’s a better way where I can remove the redundant wiring?

Help please!

Sponsored Links
Not entirely sure what you mean, but

why not replace the intermediate switch with lightwave as well?

It’s not really needed as in 18 months I don’t think I’ve used the switch and it’s £60 for a lightwave switch!

Sorry just spotted the auto correct. It should say reinvent it should say remove!

Sponsored Links
Why in earth you would want to do this I don’t know.

Do they do light wave intermediate ?

1) leave the switch there and don’t use it. Put a bit of white tape over it if you don’t want the switch operated.

2) remove. Join blue to blue. Etc.
Fit blanking plate.

I don’t think there are any more sensible options.

Ok.

Firstly, though, are the lights wired with three wires running between each switch (the older system has only two) - three needed for the lightwave?

Why in earth you would want to do this I don’t know.

Do they do light wave intermediate ?

1) leave the switch there and don’t use it. Put a bit of white tape over it if you don’t want the switch operated.

2) remove. Join blue to blue. Etc.
Fit blanking plate.

I don’t think there are any more sensible options.

As I understand it if I leave the existing switch in and use it once the lightwave stuff is in it’ll fry it and I don’t want a switch that is not useable.

Ok.

Firstly, though, are the lights wired with three wires running between each switch (the older system has only two) - three needed for the lightwave?
It’s the gen2 lightwave stuff so don’t need a wire for the slave

Oh, ok again. Didn't know that.

Well, depending on the cable routing, you can probably only remove the switch and connect the wires together, then fit a blank.

Thanks that’s kind of what I thought but now for the perhaps silly question... which wire connects to which?!

I can't find any diagrams for the two-wire system.

There must be a diagram in the instructions.

Presumably it is like this without the 'S'.
However, if you have the older system then the 'L' will be on the right hand side.

upload_2019-2-7_19-58-56.png

At the intermediate, just join together the wires of the same colour from both cables.

Last edited:
Hi all. Sorry to bring up an old post but just getting around to the job. I want to remove an intermediated switch from a 3 way switching circuit (the landing). Here is a picture of the switch. Which wires do I connect together? I have wago’s and will be fitting a blanking plate

Attachments

• C3B1ECFC-3638-49EB-8064-2BB803CA2870.jpeg
    C3B1ECFC-3638-49EB-8064-2BB803CA2870.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 128
I did a better job of it and traced the switch back to a junction box in the loft. It all made a lot more sense at that point!

Thanks again for the help! Next job is making the holes in the wall deep enough for the light wave switches without damaging other stuff o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back