Removing switch from 3 way switch arrangement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My landing light is currently controlled by three switches and I want to remove one. On the landing I have a two way switch with wires wires going to COM, L1 and L2. At the bottom of the stairs I have an intermediate switch with wires going to L1, L2, L1 and L2. In the hall is a two way switch with wires going to COM, L1 and L2.

In 10 years we've never used the switch in the hall and its location just confuses people so I want to remove it. There will still be a switch at this location, just a 2 gang instead of 3 so joints etc. will still be accessible. Unfortunately lifting floorboards to remove the cabling is not an option.

What I'm thinking of doing is:

1. Not touching the landing switch
2. Replacing the stairs switch a 2 way switch. Here I will work out which pair of wires come from the hall switch and put them both put in COM. The two remaining wires will go to L1 and L2.
3. Disconnect the hall switch and join all three wires using a Wago connector.

Does this seem sensible?

Sponsored Links
Humm

I’d just remove the switch you don’t want. Cinnect the com wire to one of the others (ideally the red one) wago the spare wire.

Humm

I’d just remove the switch you don’t want. Cinnect the com wire to one of the others (ideally the red one) wago the spare wire.
Yep, me too. Keep It Simple- amazes me you want rid of it, so many times I don't realise I've left the landing light on til I step out the front door, v handy just being able to reach back in.

You don't need to change the intermediate. You might change your mind.

Just rewire -

Obviously the colours might be different

upload_2021-7-29_23-44-21.png

Sponsored Links
Yep, me too. Keep It Simple- amazes me you want rid of it, so many times I don't realise I've left the landing light on til I step out the front door, v handy just being able to reach back in.

This switch is in the least useful place you can imagine, near the kitchen door and you can't even see the stairs.

Humm

Why would you just use one of them? Are there any issues having a core that's not connected to anything at each end (just wago)

No issue.

just thinking of the least work / changes /expense really.

therefore less to go wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back