3 way light switching.

If you can get hold of a double intermediate in the range you like, then perhaps use a dual back box and fit a single intermediate alongside?

Sponsored Links
I'm still wondering, even if it's tricky, if anyone has a wiring diagram utilising relays that will enable me to use my 3 gang switches for three way switching of 3 different lighting circuits.

Sponsored Links
It is not physically possible, even by using relays.

What about a DPCO (double-pole changeover) relay with the N/O (normally open) and N/C (normally closed) contacts cross-wired?

Your 2 'in' terminals are the relay's common terminals, and your 2 'out' terminals are the relay's N/C terminals.

(Alternatively, you could use the N/O terminals, which simply reverses the switching action.)

Does that not emulate the straight-through/crossed-over action of an intermediate switch?

Bill

I'm still wondering, even if it's tricky, if anyone has a wiring diagram utilising relays that will enable me to use my 3 gang switches for three way switching of 3 different lighting circuits.

Is this a new installation, or are you adapting an existing installation?

Will you be running power to the luminaires with (2 x brown) control pairs coming down to the switch domain, or running power to the switch domain and running a full switched-live and neutral feed up to the luminaires?

The relay box would in any case require a neutral connection to energise the relay coils, and will likely contain the final switched lives. So you have full switched feeds in the relay box and could run them out to the luminaires from there. This may be handy if you want to put an isolator (potentially also with a fuse) before the relay box. You don't want to isolate the coil sides of the relays only to have the contact sides still be live; you want the whole box to go off completely so that you can take the lid off safely.

MK Grid Plus has a 3 module polished chrome frontplate available, albeit with screws. Question is: Is it worth 10-20 hours' extra work to hide 6 screw heads? ;)

Hi Bill, Thanks for that. It looks like that will work.
I know it'll be a lot more work just to cover up some screw heads but I reckon it'll be worth it for the looks.
It is a new installation so not as tricky as it might have been.
I take your point about the isolation requirements for the relay box, and will wire it up accordingly.

Thanks once again,
Nick

I take your point about the isolation requirements for the relay box, and will wire it up accordingly.

To be sure, I cannot say whether an isolator would be required in this case (or even whether the whole idea is doable within the Regs).

For The Avoidance Of Doubt, I am not an electrician.

Usual provisos apply; unless you are confident in your own ability, consult a professional.

The relay option would work, using a 1 way switch to power the relay coil.
However this does mean that in one position, the relay coil will be continuously powered, even though the light could be off.

Obtaining the correct switch must surely be an easier and cheaper option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back